I caught the ball!

I CAUGHT THE BALL!

“He hits the ball! Oh my goodness! That ball is out of here! But wait! A twelve-year-old looking kid has caught the BALL!”
ZZZZ! My alarm clock buzzed.
“Oh no,” I thought, “I was having the best dream in the whole world. And besides, it’s the holidays. You’re supposed to sleep in.”
Then I heard the sound of the TV and that meant Dad was watching BASEBALL!

I loved baseball. I stumbled to the living room and there was Dad, lounged in his favorite chair.
“Morning, Dylan” Dad said in a cheerful voice.
“Why are you so happy” I asked.
“The championship son, it’s next weekend”.
“Who’s in it Dad? Tell me pleeaase!” I screamed.
“The Red Socks verse the Yankees”. Dad and I were the biggest Yankees fans ever. We had all the merchandise possible and my Dad had even caught the ball at the semi-finals. My favorite player of all time was Tom.
“Guys, quiet down,” muttered Mum as she walked in, “You know I like to sleep in.”
“Yes Mother,” Dad and I chorused.
“Well, you’d better have your breakfast, son,” Dad said.
“Naa. I’ll have it later,” I said. “Say, can we go to the game? Please?”
“Hmmm..my cousin Ed has tickets, and I think he got them over the phone, so I’ll call up.” Dad reached for the phone
I stood there, so nervous that they would be sold out.
A few minutes later I heard Dad saying,
“Oh, OK then,”
He turned around and looked at me then said,
“I’m sorry son, they’re sold out.”
I stood there; I couldn’t breathe, and then ran crying to my room. Later my dad came in and said,
“There is always next year.” I didn’t answer.
“Ok, I’ll leave you here for a while.”
For three days I was in my room and only came out for food supplies. After another day Dad got a call, but it wasn’t good. Dad’s cousin Ed had had a motorcycle crash and was in hospital.
We visited him and found Ed all bandaged up. Both his legs were broken and he had a lot of deep scratches. “The doctor says I can’t go to the championship. So my girlfriend and I are giving you the tickets.”
“Thank you!” Dad said, delighted. I was ecstatic!
“Come on, Dad. The championship is on right NOW!” Dad and I were dressed in everything for the Yankees. We sat down in the stadium. Then the players came out. We cheered for the Yankees and booed the Red Socks.
After half time it was draw, fourteen points each. Then Tom, my hero, hit the ball and it went flying. Tom started to run when Dad noticed the ball was coming towards me. Dad lifted me up, and I CAUGHT IT! Then Tom skidded to home and scored a run, which meant we‘d won.

After the game Tom signed my ball. That was the best week of my LIFE!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!