Jamie

She steps back and I step forward. The nurse is holding a tiny thing in her arms, her cheeks are sucked in and her hands- old and slender- stroke the thing’s face. She is passing it to me now and I stretch out my arms stiffly.
‘No, no darling. Cradle him, support his head.’
‘I’m so sorry, how do I-’ The murmured drumbeat of panic becomes louder and faster until I want to throw him to the wind and run away.
‘Goodbye all-’ I would say, ‘Goodbye dear mother and father. Goodbye Troy, goodbye love and all your minions. Goodbye and good riddance!’
‘You alright love? I’ll pop back in a minute. Keep supporting Jamie’s neck, there’s a good girl.’
He has lovely eyes, so human; they hold me still. I spread his very little fingers out, follow his palm lines.
I don’t remember calling him Jamie. Will it sound good- Jamie Andrews? He needs a middle name. He is so small, so fragile in my arms, and he’s alive because of me and that short night that is so very far behind us now; it reaches us here, me and Jamie. I thought I had closed that book and laid it aside. But its tendrils still clasp my hands, they curl around my waist and neck and I am drawn in again. If only this were a book, it would all turn out alright, some miracle would happen, a cure would be found, Troy would love me, mother would forgive me. But this is nothing but reality, and here I am, holding Jamie’s little hand.
I threw a glass at Troy when he first refused to marry me- how satisfied I was when it smashed on the fridge, hearing it shatter! I knew I would get my own way and I have. This is all my doing, all my lovely plans have come to this. All I could think of was mum holding Jamie in her lap while I walked down the aisle and I would look at Troy and then I would look at Jamie and I would throw up; I would vomit at my own wedding because I couldn’t stand to see what a patchwork job we had done in creating a family.
If only the doctor rushed in this very moment, all smiles, ‘My dear girl, we’ve made a ghastly mistake, it turns out your boy’s perfectly healthy-’ or if a specialist is flown in from God knows where to do God knows what to fix you, I’d take anything, do anything, to see this as a memory.
What excuse shall I give you now, my darling, what shall I say to escape the blame? How was I to know that you would be like this, that the nurse’s apron would be tearstained, that I would sit beside this window with you in my arms and watch Troy have a smoke in the parking lot?
Would you forgive me Jamie, if I told you that?

Alicia Varghese, year 11

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!