Getting a new pet

“Aaaaaaarrrggggghhhhhhh….”
“Wha….what’s up dad?”
Katie was just having a fabulous dream about her new pet, Woof, the dog. She was just awoken by her dad’s ear-piercing scream.
“Katie, does this belong to you?” he asked. Obviously he didn’t know that once again Katie had brought home a new pet from the pet store-Myrtles Turtles Galore- which was just down the road.
“Ummmm…yeh dad. I was going to tell you about Woof but I uhhh…” Katie stuttered.
“Good god girl. Do you know how hard it is to be a single parent raising a child who has such an interest in animals???” Katie felt a tear running down her cheek. Then she began to see a pool forming around her feet.
Katie’s mother had passed away a year ago from a brain tumour. She was still very emotional about her mother’s death. She and Katie were very close because they were both very interested in animals. With her mother being a vetinerian, Katie was always able to be near her two favourite things. And when it was her mother’s last moments Katie promised to her that she would one day continue her interest in animals and become a vet herself.
“Oh darling, I am so sorry.” Her dad said with pure compassion “Here what about if we keep ‘Woof’ for awhile and see if we can handle it. You do know that we don’t have much money”
“Oh thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!!!!”

Scrreeeeeccchhhhh................SLAM! Katie walked down the hallway to her room. She opened her bedroom door after a long day at school expecting to find Woof somewhere in her room.
"Wo-oof, where are you..... Woofie, come here!!! Woof, where are you?" Katie begged.
The smell of her room that her pet had just made didn't bother her right now. Only where Woof was right now was the only thing on her mind. It hadn't even crossed her mind that her dad was late from work.
For the next hour or so Katie looked under beds and couches checked the kitchen and bathrooms. She even went for a quick walk around her neighbourhood. But no luck whatsoever.
"Honey, I'm home", her dad called from the frond door.
Katie came running, "DAD, DAD", Katie started, "I came home from school and Woof wasn't here and I was so scared and so I looked everywhere and I even went for a walk...." Katie stopped. There he was!!! WOOF!
Katie let out a loud laugh of joy and followed by a sniff and some sobs.
“I’m so sorry honey. I thought you would notice the note on the table-“Her dad started.
He was cut off by Katie grabbing and reading the note which said:
Dear Katie,
Gone to buy things for Woof. He is with me so don’t worry. Be back late.
Lots of love,
Dad
“Oh dad thankyou so much! This means so much to me.” Katie started to cry.
“I know honey, I know….”
The End.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!