A transgression of views


The blade’s edge neared Liam’s face but he turned away just as it swung towards him. The ground was slippery and wet from the rain but he straightened himself and held his ground as his opponent surveyed him.
“You can’t possibly keep fighting,” said Oliver. “Your strength diminishes with every stroke.”
Liam looked at his hated enemy with renewed vigour. “If this be my final hour, then let it be remembered as the day the enslaved man yelled FREEDOM!” With that final cry Liam launched himself at Oliver, his blade raised high with the intension to kill.
Oliver stood back, his long flowing black hair changing with the direction of the wind, his worn battle armour ready to receive the dreaded blow. “So be it.”


A Transgression of Views
A short story by Andrew Roberts

The humble world of Shenrak was made up of many different cultures and nations that lived in harmony and peace. But this peace was disrupted by the events of the Public Revolt. No one really knew how the revolt started but no sooner had it begun then a new political party was in charge of the Mourdon Nation. This new party called themselves the Civil Arm. They carried out mass killings to those who would not join them. The other nations of Shenrak saw this and declared war on Mourdon and the Civil Arm. The Arm forced young men and teenagers to fight for them.
But where do young Oliver and Liam come into this story I hear you say? In this time of hardships the Civil Arm came to Oliver and Liam’s hometown. They had been friends since they were very little and at nineteen years of age they fought in the terrible war had that been forced upon them.
After two years in the service they were brought home but the war had affected them badly and Oliver wanted nothing more then to kill. He was addicted to it. One day he tried to force himself upon Liam’s long time girlfriend. When she refused he snapped inside and killed her. After she was dead he made use of her dead and mutilated body.
After that he fled and worked for the Civil Arm. His name became legend. But his past could not escape him and Liam now faces him as a rebel fighter against the Civil Arm and the evil it brings.

Oliver took Liam’s blow to the chest and sprawled onto the floor. Liam drove his blade deeper but saw that Oliver was pulling it out. His strength was great.
“These wounds fed to my strength. I have no weakness.”
With that he kicked Liam away from him. “Be prepared to suffer for your miscalculation!”
He raised his blade for the finishing stroke. But Liam reached into his pocket to reveal a grenade. “This is for her,” he said as he pulled the pin. Oliver’s look of utter surprise filled Liam’s vision as a bright light blinded him into darkness.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!