The Next Blue Moon Wizard

Finalist in the '2001/2002 Schools Short Story Competition - Magic and Mystery Theme' competition

Right before he died, my father told me that to be a Blue Moon Wizard was an honor given only to those who posses the power and character to successfully pass the Moon Task of Bravery. That was 11 years ago today, my 17th birthday and the day, which will be the final seal to prove my loyalty to the Blue Moon Wizards.
Ever since I was a young wizard casting petty spells, I have dreamt of growing up and being a role-model to a young wizard who never had anything but himself, just like I was. But now, looking at my reflection on the lake’s polished surface I see a man, who raised himself since the age of seven, in nature’s surroundings. After the Red Moon Wizards raided my village and slaughtered my family eleven years ago, I stand here today awaiting my future and my chance to have a new family in my life once again.
As I began to dive deeper in to the thoughts of having another family, my concentration was drawn elsewhere as the lake turned from innocent to crimson as it reflected the sky. I sensed trouble, my sixth sense proved right, when I turned around I was surrounded by Red Moon Wizards.
Without hesitation one of them spoke, “ We don’t wish to battle with you, we are here to talk to you about your future, and the Blue Moon.”
I unclenched my fist as if hinting to the man to continue.
“Here is our proposition, we know that today is the day you will be initiated into the Blue Moon Wizards, our rivals. If you decline their offer we will give you the power to cast a spell that will reunite you with you deceased family,” he said as if there was something missing.
They disappeared; interrupting the picture I had painted in my mind of being with my family.
How could they ever create such a spell? Bring people back from the dead, or what if they meant killing me? I had to stop myself, my sentiments were entangled, I was falling apart.
My attention was easily redirected towards the sound of screaming, I found myself sprinting to the sound of distress. The Red Moon posse had been harassing a family; they told me this family would become sacrified for my family’s reincarnation. Their little boy would have been deserted; I couldn’t’ let them do it to that boy, after doing it to me. I prepared for the battle of my life.
After the screams and the dust had settled, the wizards were dead. I sighed with relief and fell; I looked down to my bleeding stomach. A tear rolled off my eye, as I started to weep. “This is it,” I said to myself. The truth and the irony are too difficult to bear. My dream came true, as I was a role model to that boy, without ever becoming a Blue Moon Wizard…
“Father?”
“Son?”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!