The Ancient One

Finalist in the '2001/2002 Schools Short Story Competition - Magic and Mystery Theme' competition

Kirisha, the healer, was glad she was finally standing in the shadow of the Ancient one. She had traveled from the Far West at the beckoning of the animals. Standing at the Ancient One’s trunk she marveled at his beauty. He was a tree of great proportions, a sapling born in the first age of this world, when all the world was still fair.
Viewing this incredible sight Kirisha, who had seen many wonders, was speechless. What took her breath away was neither the Ancient One’s towering trunk, nor his staggering heights, but rather the fact that he was dying. It shocked her that one so powerful could, in fact, die.
Putting any misgivings she might have aside (due to the late stage of his sickness), she began to gently speak the words of healing to the Ancient One, firmly resolving not to stop her efforts till either he was healed or she expended so much of her magic she died.
As sunrise turned toward sunset, Spring into Fall, and Fall into Winter with no result, hope dwindled within her. Even still she labored on, expending all of her energies, magic, and life force in hope that something would heal him.
Finally the day came, in the heart of Winter, when Kirisha could go on no longer, None of her magic had the slightest effect on the Ancient One and she was spent. Death now stared the both of them in the face.
Looking up toward him she called out, “Ancient One, long have I labored in hopes of finding remedy for your ails. Alas! My magic was not strong enough to undo the wounds of Father Time. I have given it my all and now I, with you, shall die.”
Before those last words had fallen from her lips, a tongue of flame fell from heaven and rested over both tree and healer. The moment it touched the roots of the Ancient One; life flowed back into his veins. The moment it touched the lips of Kirisha, her eyes fluttered open and youthful vigor flowed into her. Rejoicing in that moment they realized that they were in the presence of the Spirit who had formed the Earth. The Holy Flame swept up Kirisha and spirited her off to heavenly halls and the Ancient One found himself alone in the glen.
The next morning the birds and beasts came out to find the Ancient One standing strong over them. They gave, in one voice, a deafening cheer and plied the Ancient One with questions. As to the whereabouts of Kirisha he would only say, “Home, she is home.” Although confused by his answer they did not push the point. One last query would not be denied them however, “How was the mystery solved? How did Kirisha heal the Ancient One?
He smiled and said, “By love, my children, only by love.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!