Racing Spirit

I opened my eyes for the very first time to see a chubby faced man looking down at me; his soft dark blue eyes gazed at me with a kind smile on his face. He started rubbing me down with a soft white cloth, he rubbed gently down my neck and down along my slender legs. It was a lovely feeling. Then he stood up and walked out of the stable. Looking around the stable, I saw three other horses, one was pure white and the second was shiny black. The third horse I saw was my Mother; she was a beautiful chestnut, just like me. My mothers name was Faith and she had raised five healthy pure breed foals and I was the sixth.

The chubby farmer was very fond of my mother; he used to call me Brownie because I had a shinny brown coat and sparkling brown eyes. I soon learnt that the farmers name was Joe and his wife Mary-Jane, who fed the horses and gave them treats from the orchard, which held a variety of juicy, sweet fruit. My favorite was the juicy peaches. I loved sucking on the pips that held the flavour for hours, that sweet, mouth watering taste.

As I am now three and a half, Joe had to start looking for a good home for me. Mother had told me something about being broken in and being sold at four years. One day as I was galloping around the field with my mother, I saw Joe walking towards the paddock with a seat like thing, a muzzle looking object and a long strip of leather. He swung open the little old wooden gate; it almost fell to pieces, as Joe was a strong man. He walked up to me and rubbed gently down my nose, I could feel his rough hand. He spoke in a soft gentle kind voice and slowly beckoned me out the paddock and into another. Then he carefully put something into my mouth, which I did not like it at first. He also put something on my back. He held onto the leather strap and made me trot around the paddock.

As I am now four and have been broken in Joe sold me to a racing man. I was sad to leave mother and the farm but a new life was waiting.
My new stable was airy and had an inviting smell of hay. There was another horse there called Ginger, she was also a chestnut, and we became best friends. My new owner, John started training me after a week. I worked hard and tried my best. Two years later I found myself in the racing box.
I heard the gun, my gate opened, I ran, I felt the wind in my face, my mane flowing behind me. I ran with all my spirit and I soon found myself at the finish. My master was overjoyed. From then on I was a famous race horse.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!