Rat Palace

Rat Palace

Sniffles and Cuddles had just arrived in their new home and were eating dinner.

“Yum! Hey! Where did it go? Oh under me” cried Sniffles dropping her pea.

“Score” squealed Cuddles in glee at finding what she thought was a pea, but in fact was just an empty shell.

Every now and then when they had finished what they were eating Sniffles would go and get more food from the dish. A carrot for herself and of course a pea for Cuddles.

Munch, munch went the rats. Scuttle, went little feet over to the food dish. Constantly sampling the treats.

“I love corn and peas” squeaked Sniffles with her mouth full.

“Mmmmmm” agreed Cuddles. About the love of peas, as that was all she ever ate.

Whilst Cuddles was busy eating Sniffles discovered how to get to the penthouse of their grand new home.

Sniffle’s was very pleased with herself, for she had reached the sleeping quarters, with the toasty warm pouch on the penthouse level.

“Look, there is more food. Why stop?” asked Cuddles.

“What an exciting place” said Sniffles, clawing around the pouch.

Down on the second floor Cuddles was getting very upset.

“I know you can go higher but how?” said Cuddles in despair.

“Here I come” yelled Sniffles, climbing down

Just at that point Cuddle’s felt a hand. It was her owner helping her up to the penthouse level.

Standing on her hind legs and holding onto the bars of her new cage, Cuddles was sniffing at the audience gathered around the new pets.

“Aaaaargh” sighed Cuddles finding the pouch and climbing in.

Then looking down she got scared. “How do I get down again” she cried to Sniffles?


Sniffles and Cuddles continued to explore their new home throughout the night.

The next morning the budgie’s, who were temporary neighbours of the rats, where not in a good mood.

Being nocturnal the rats had stayed up all night and played, keeping the budgies awake.

Then at 5am this morning the rats finally went to sleep. Of course this is the time the budgies wake up and start chirping. Which meant it was their turn to keep the rats awake.

“You go and talk to the new neighbours Booboo” urged the Budgie Mia.

“Go on I didn’t sleep a wink last night with all that scurrying and munching”.

Mia gave him a hard stare through her tired eyes.

This made Booboo advance to the left side of the Budgie cage, closer to rat palace.

“Um. Hello”, said Booboo nervously, he was a shy Budgie when it came to meeting new creatures.

Booboo was not heard at all as the rats slept soundly.

Eventually Booboo and Mia gave up, going about their morning ritual of cleaning the cage.

About mid morning the new owners of Sniffles and Cuddles moved rat palace onto a specially constructed shelf in another room

There would be no more sleepless nights or days if you are a rat.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!