A Dragon's Tail

In school, we all learn our myths and legends with centaurs and winged horses that fly but the most famous of these are Dragons. But the problem is that when you think of these mighty creatures you think of the people who destroyed them. Civilised creatures all go to school so dragons must have as well... Well, wouldn't they?
This is the story of a teenage dragon, called Steam. Let us got to the time when dragons truly existed: To 2008 where dragons lay in dens and went to schools.
Myths do not exist: But Dragons do...
Water spilled over the floor. "Haha, run out of Steam, have you" laughed Smog. Steam lifted his head out of the toilet and watched himself in the mirror as drips of brown water dripped from the end of his nose. It wasn’t his fault that he couldn't blow fire. It's just that he never tried. As he walked from the bathroom he looked at the seniors on the floor blowing smoke rings. 'Filthy habit,' he thought in his head.
The pathway was littered as Steam walked to his first English class of the year. Starting at St Snores knowing no-one was a hard task but it was one he would have to do. His mother had been a student here 300 years ago and said it was very academic. It certainly hadn't changed. As he got to the English room, he breathed on the window and looked in. As he turned he looked straight into the eyes of his English teacher. The English teacher spoke first.
Putting his keys into the door, he asked, “Are you Steam by any chance?" I went to school with your mum and she wondered if I could help settle you in." Steam looked at him and said "Er... Thanks Mr..er."
"Squeal. Most kids used to tease me about my name but I got along by reading. Reading helps but what you really need to do is for you to stand up to those who harass you. You don't want to be the toughest in the class or you will turn into the bully. You really want to be equal." said Mr Squeal.
"Go and stand up for yourself, Steam. Do it once and it will last forever." Finished Mr Squeal. As Steam started walking Mr Squeal shouted after him, "After English, Steam." But Steam was gone.
When Steam got to the toilets he made himself tall, walked past the smoke-ringers then stood in front of Smog and his gang. "Hey Steamo, coming back for another dunk, eh," said Smog. "No Smog, I'm letting you know that I am an ordinary dragon just like you so please stop harassing me." "Well all right, I'll think about it. How about I show you around?" said Smog.
Steam is an ordinary dragon just like us but we don't always see his side of the story. What Steam needed was some self esteem. This is a Dragon's tale.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!