Happy Ending

A small dew drop glistens as it falls in a field filled with nothing but silence, and a small girl and boy, dangling their legs off a tree branch. Nothing can touch them; time does not exist in this world, nor does war or violence. Nothing evil can penetrate their sanctuary of only good and happiness.
The boy reaches over to the girl and touches her hand. She is startled at first, she could have lived in that moment forever, but now she is bought back to reality and begins to softly weep. The boy embraces here gently as to not injure her further, and whispers something softly in her ear. They look around; this place is perfect, not a person but endless frames of lush foliage. The girl turns and murmurs “Thank-you.” The boy responds by slightly lowering his head and holding her tighter. She whimpers so the boy loosens his grip. ‘She has been through so much’ he thinks to himself, ‘she is so grateful for the slightest movement of kindness; no one should be forced to go through what she’s been through. I’m so glad we met her, I’m so glad we saved her.’ The girls breathing becomes slower her whimpers less frequent and she slowly drops her head down, aiming for her saviour’s shoulder. The boy tenderly lifts his hand to place on her head. Lost in translation she jerks abruptly away. They both become startled and begin to fall, down, down. They grasp each other; the girl squints in pain the boy put his mouth to her ear and whispers, “I’m sorry.” The girl begins to cry and buries her head into his chest, whishing that life didn’t have to end, but she knew it would come one day.
For the first time in her short life the girl whispers a word of affection, without being forced, or sobbing in fear. “Thank-you, you gave me my happy ending.” Upon these words the boy also begins to whimper. What feels like hours to the pair, is actually seconds before impact after being captured in gravity’s ruthless hands.
A small dew drop glistens as it falls in a field, filled with nothing but silence, and a small girl and boy, huddled in each other’s arms. The pair lie there, silently and motionless, as they shall remain, happily forever.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!