Little Red Riding Hood - From The Wolf's Point Of View

“Ouch!” I thought as another tree fern whipped at my tail. It was Little Red Riding Hood again! All morning she had been slinging rocks at me from her slingshot which she kept in her basket. I now had bruises all over my tail. I growled low in my throat as I remembered the scene. Of course, no-one suspected Little Red Riding Hood to be evil. She was the sweet innocent little girl who delivered cakes and assorted pastries to her old grandmother, who was a little frail now to be looking after herself. Suddenly, I heard a rustle and singing not far away. My head snapped up and I looked around trying to find the source of the noise. It was Little Red of course. I saw her basket overflowing with a big cake before I ducked out of sight again. Assuming she was looking for me, I ran into the nearest house and locked myself in. I was very surprised to see Little Red’s grandmother in bed – no doubt sick again – when I had a splendid idea of hiding myself from Little Red Riding Hood. I could dress up in her grandmother’s clothes and pretend to be her so that Little Red would just deliver the cake and go home again, for she would never blow her cover by being rude to her grandmother.
Conveniently, her grandmother was still asleep, so I left her there and found her clothes in the wardrobe. I quickly dressed as her grandmother, and shut the door so she would not be woken.
While I was practicing my ‘frail’ voice, I heard Little Red come up the stairs and knock on the door.
“Who’s there?” I called, counterfeiting her voice perfectly.
“Why it is your granddaughter, Little Red Riding Hood,” she replied sweetly from behind the door, “I have brought you a cake and a little pot of butter mother sent you.”
“Well come right in then,” I said. My heart was beating furiously. This was all such a silly idea. Of course she was going to see through my poor disguise.
As if reading my mind, Little Red Riding Hood suddenly said,
“Grandmother, what big arms you have.”
“All the better to hug you with my dear,” I replied nervously.
“But Grandmother, what big legs you have,” she said sweetly, giving me a smile that looked half evil.
“All the better to run with my dear,” I replied again.
“Oh Grandmother, what big ears you have,” she cooed softly.
“All the better to hear you with my child,” I said, my voice cracking under the pressure.
“Grandmother!” she falsely gasped, “What BIG teeth you have!”
At that point I knew I was doomed. She knew I wasn’t her grandmother and I was going to pay for it.
I decided to give her a scare as a last resort option – there were no woodchoppers around, so there was really no danger as far as I could see. As I was about to respond, she whipped out her slingshot and aimed it at me.
“As if I thought you were my Grandmother,” she teased, “And that is such a poor outfit you should be ashamed of yourself. Let me teach you a lesson for breaking into people’s houses!”
I was cowering against the wall now. There was no escape. Little Red was about to shoot one of her sharp stones at me when….
“STOP THAT RIGHT NOW YOUNG MISSY!”
Both of our heads snapped up from where we were. It was Little Red’s grandmother standing at the front door.
“Oh right,” I mumbled, “I forgot to lock the door.”
“That’s right,” said Grandmother. I knew Wolf was always innocent for he has never done anything wrong to me – and I am the easiest target in the whole forest. I was listening that whole time. So,” she said as she pointed at Little Red, “You will apologize to Wolf and you are to tell the whole neighbourhood the truth,” she said.
Little Red knew she was beaten.
“Yes Gran,” she sighed.
“And,” Grandma added, “A few months working in my garden would be mighty helpful too.”
Little Red looked at her grandmother with deepest loathing, for she had never really liked her grandmother. However, she sighed again.
“Yes Gran,” she said. She turned to face me again. “Sorry Wolf,” she said, “I hope you can forgive me for all that I’ve done to you”.
I was quick to agree so I could get away.
“It’s okay Little Red,” I said quickly, “We all make mistakes.” I had always been a forgiving and compassionate wolf after all.
“See you then,” I called as I bounded out the window, and out of sight, for I had no intention of going back there ever again.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!