Nervous In A Coffee Shop

I’m nervous.
Breathe. Breathe.
I wipe my sweaty palms on my faded denim jeans.
Calm down. This should be easy. I’ve done it hundreds of times already.
I walk out my front door and head down the street. Each step taking me closer to what could be a life changing hour. The moment I find my true path, my destiny. The one time my future will finally look clear.
Or he could be another failure.
After a few minutes that seem to go on for hours, I reach the door of the coffee shop, late as usual. The same coffee shop I visit every day. The coffee shop I visit every day, that I now can’t bring myself to enter. I notice someone waving at me from inside. Cathy, my usual waitress, is pointing with large gestures at table seven. My table seven, that is currently occupied by a large, hulking man about twenty-two years old.
I sigh. Why is this so hard? I try to check out the guy through the windows, but the tint obscures my vision. I sigh again, this time in defeat and push on the door. Not even the familiar door chime gives me confidence, and I turn my back on my table as Cathy hurries to my side.
“This guy’s a hunk! Where did you find him?”
“Through a friend at work. Is he hot? I don’t want to turn around.”
Cathy’s answer comes in the form of spinning me around and giving me a shove towards the table. Finally, I have no place else to look, and I study the man with educated eyes. The first thing I notice is his size: he is huge! The delicate coffee table looks as if it could be crushed at any moment by his incredible figure. Don’t get me wrong, he isn’t by any means fat, but I can tell by the cramped way his body is folded under the table that he is tall and unbelievably muscular. A mob of messy brown hair, badly in need of a cut, perfectly frames a strong, clean-shaven jaw line and deep set brown eyes. His skin is tanned and he has large, masculine features. He wears a basic green t-shirt that emphasizes his bulging biceps and too-low dark jeans. He is, undeniably, absolutely gorgeous.
When I reach the table he stops tapping his fingers, looks up at me and smiles. I feel my knees go weak and lean heavily against the table for support. He has a perfect smile, straight white teeth and soft-looking, sensual lips. He stands and holds out a hand to me. I slip my hand into his, and he speaks in a deep, slightly suggestive and amused voice.
“Hey, I’m Adam and your hand is freezing”
I find myself smiling easily “Victoria, and your hand is actually quite warm.”
As we look into each other's eyes for a moment, sharing a smile I wonder if this might be the best hour of my life.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!