Zoo Escape

I scanned around for James. Nope. Not there.

Suddenly, people ran towards the exit. I asked the nearest zoo keeper what in the world was going on. He yelled at me in the ear:
“There are wild animals on the loose! Get out!” No way! I couldn’t leave my brother. Once I got myself untangled from the general public, I started searching. A few moments later, I heard a piercing cry. My blood froze, it came from the cafeteria.

I burst inside the cafeteria and was horrified at seeing a couple of hyenas circling my brother. I backed away but found myself trapped. My hand then touched a few plastic bags. I slowly took a bag and popped it and the hyenas ran away. I scooped James up and ran to the iron gates but they were closed.

I heard a snarl, turned around and once again, I was trapped. I suddenly had another idea. James knew how to play hide-and-seek. I whispered in his ear instructions. He smiled cheekily. I lowered and hid him behind my back as he waddled off to hide behind a tree. The hyenas hadn’t noticed.

I rejoiced only too quickly. Four of the hyenas had crouched discreetly and had pounced on me. I stood aside and they went bashing into the gate. Then, a loud piercing scream echoed around the sanctuary and I was surprised to find out it was mine.

The hyena had dug its teeth deep in my wrist and left a terrifying wound with streams of blood hastening out. The hyena, for some peculiar reason, had not bitten it off. It was nursing its companions. I staggered to James and fell. I suddenly remembered the other exit in the marine toy shop. I stood up and took James by the hand.

We came to a large pool sharks with an island connected to a bridge. I leaned over the pool but as I leaned in, I felt dizzy and…in the pool I went. But the worst is that I went head in first and my skull unleashed a thick fog of crimson blood in the water.

I thought of swimming to the island but the sharks started swirling around me then darted away. I swam as quickly as I could towards the bridge. I pulled myself on it but a sharp bump on my leg left me screaming in pain.

As I had pulled myself up, the sharks had damaged the bridge. I hopped carefully across. I had a few hops left but the bamboo bridge started to snap. I jumped with all my force and landed in a heap on the other side. I looked around and saw a spare wheel chair. I settled in, sat James on my lap and went to the exit.

I was glad when the breeze whipped my face as I wheeled over to a telephone cabin and dialled 000. When I heard a response, I explained my case and was taken to hospital immediately.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!