The Snake

Dry gum leaves surrounded the desolate building. The blazing sun shone intensely on the hot summer day. A harsh breeze passes by and the sand stirred enjoying the infrequent movement of air. Gum tree rustled as the wind passed, dead leaves falling onto the dirty ground. A metal tine rolls itself into the path of my feet. I pick it up, disgusted with what it symbolizes. I envy the world of my people's pas. I angrily kick the tin on the ground remembering how much we have lost. The tin can landed a distance then rolled away slowly until it could not be seen...

The snake slithered silently, its tongue darting out every few seconds searching. The mouse greedily ate a biscuit that lay inside a tin can. It did not hear the soft scales rubbing against the coarse ground nearby. It did not see the snake's soft hissing, but it did feel the sharp fangs penetrate its soft skin. The rat's breathing became heavier and heavier until it stopped. It was eaten in one mouthful before the snake slithered away.

The snaked sensed the nearby trail of the tin can under its scaly belly tasting the presence of humans in the area. I saw the snake blindly slither towards me unsure of my of what i will do. I take a step towards the creature, it slithers away quickly into the bush, I look around scratching my head wondering why the snake had fled. Two white men appeared out the the shed wielding giant planks of wood. Fearing what they will do to me, i ran into the bushes trying to follow the snake's trail. Suddenly I heard a thud on the back of my head, everything went black...

I wake. The dream of my younger self drifts into the void that is my life. I stare at the expressionless ceiling above me, think about my current circumstances. The Mabo case had lasted three years and we were still at the stalemate that was produced with the first year. I speculated if it was worth going to the courtroom again, as I started to prepare myself for the stressful day ahead. The doors of the high court were wide open as the lawyers took their seats to start arguing about land rights. The dream entered my thoughts again as I took my seat for the beginning of yesterday's case.

The defense lawyer brought a witness to the stand to be interrogated."The sharp fangs penetrated its soft skin...", I zoned out... realizing just in time to hear the opposition lawyer dramatically call out "I rest my case". The judge called for recess and I quickly leave the court...anxiety filling my conscience, sweat appeared on my forehead. My vision became blurry. I did not see the ledge before me. I did not feel the pain when i hit the ground. I did see the snake slither away into the bushes again.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!