Knowledge In Her Eyes

The year was 1992; it was a very bloody year especially with the teenage suicide rates that were rising higher each day. Many people would say that it was the grieving year but it was up to the detectives of the squad team in Japans capital city of Tokyo to investigate these so called suicides.
My name is Akira and my team of detectives and I have been assigned to a very mysterious case of suicide from a sixteen year old Japanese girl named Sumi Kayamara. She was known as a true artist at her school but was very quiet; she was not very sociable either and did not like people or staying them. Some people at the school say that she was a weirdo and there were rumors that she had a mysterious aura that surrounded her body. Before she plunged to her death from her very tall apartment, she drew a self-portrait of herself which she scanned and posted on the internet. Now there have been reports that anyone who stared at her eyes for exactly five minutes would go mentally psycho and have fits. There has also been reports that people have committed suicide after gazing at her eyes for again five minutes. One woman that looked into the eyes of the picture for only two minutes said that she saw knowledge in the girl’s eyes. But what I am confused about the knowledge part is that; what has two pale blue eyes got to do with knowledge and making people have fits?
This portrait has been seen dangerous and so after it was released for the public to see it was put back into the empty apartment.
My crew consists of four people; Hisao, my wife Setsuna and Hiroki. Today our chief assigned our crew to investigate the apartment. I was not scared in going but Hiroki was very timid as he was quite superstitious. As we went into the elevator it shook a little bit, but I guess it was because of its oldness.
We arrived at the apartment at exactly 12:13; we had to record the time we started and ended for the record account. We all searched in different places of the house. I saw a note near the window; it must have been sumi’s suicide note. I reached to it but it was just a homework sheet. I showed it to Setsuna and she said it was not necessary for our investigation. Suddenly we all heard a blood curdling scream from a room in the house. We all rushed to the noise.
As we entered the room we saw Hiroki laying on the floor, we all rushed to him. He was clearly dead with his eyes as blue as the sky. We sprinted to the front door to escape but the door was locked from both ends. We found a table and forwarded it into the door. Slowly the door fell onto the ground. The next thing that happened was the most scariest and supernatural occurrence that Setsuna, Hisao and I have ever seen. Standing right in front of us laid a pure hard and very thick brick wall which we all knew was not there when we began. I had a feeling of emptiness, as if I and the remaining crew were trapped inside this scary apartment for eternity. “Akira, what are we going to do with Hiroki? Stuttered Setsuna. “For now we should just leave him, for there is nothing we can do”. I replied. “Damn, there’s no reception here. Angrily muttered Hisao. “Why don’t you just jump out of the window if you’re trapped………. Well…… I did”! Said a horrifying girl’s voice that echoed in the room. “Who’s in here” frightfully shouting Hisao. Sumi, is that you? I called out. Setsuna looked extremely scared from the noise. I sat next to her and calmed her down.
An hour passed and we were still in the apartment. We all tried different ways to escape, but in the end we were trapped. “I’m going to use the bathroom” said Hisao. “That’s fine, but just stay safe.” Hisao walked to the left were the entrance to the bathroom was.
Two hours passed and Hisao was still using the bathroom. Setsuna and I became worried, so we both went to see what the problem was. I swung the door straight open to see that no one was inside. I and Setsuna looked around but there was no trace of Hisao at all. I suddenly heard Setsuna crying. “What’s wrong” I said. “Look at the window” Setsuna replied. It was there that I saw Hisao seventy metres down lying on hard concrete with blood pouring out from his head.
We both left the bathroom whimpering when suddenly as we entered back to the living room, she was there.
“Hello there” said Sumi Kayamara in a very evil tone. “Knowledge, knowledge, knowledge, everyone has knowledge. “But no! I had it only in my eyes”. Growled Sumi. “That is way all those people that stared into my eyes went crazy, for, my knowledge was not stored in my brain, it was again stored in my eyes.
“Now” “the rule is, someone’s going to give up their life for me but every time you delay it, a small cut will appear on your wrist and eventually go deeper until you choose”. “Sumi, no, you don’t have to do this.” I stuttered. “is that so………DEEPER” shouted Sumi. “Ouch” I screamed. I noticed my wrist bleeding and Setsuna’s did the same. “your times nearly up” said Sumi.
“Stop” I shouted. “Setsuna I love you and I do not want you to get hurt” I said very saddenly to her. “Noooooooo” screamed Setsuna. “Sumi take my life away, and promise not to even touch Setsuna”. “good choice” replied Sumi. Suddenly she walked near the window and leaped out, shouting “thank you” while she was falling.
A month later I received an email message saying “to even think about giving your life up for someone that you love is pure knowledge, but the problem was that I only had that in my eyes.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!