Wasteland

The sound of guns...
The smell of death...
Three bombs...
Silence...

The year is 2276 A.D. The Third World War has ended, leaving nothing. Nothing but waste.
My name is Johnathan Stuart. I am a 21 year old from a location unknown. I was born at the beginning of the war and was raised by my mother in a world of carnage. In a war not worth fighting. The war was ended by the Kpreans, letting of 20 nuclear devices in unison. Causing Fallout.

I walked down the street of one of the inhabited cities, New York. My eyes darted around, looking for any sign of danger. A movement to my left caught my eye, I spun and raised my gun. Pointing it at the source of the movement. The figure lumbered slowly out of the shadows, getting ever so closer. It was huge, at least three times the size of a man. I realised the figure was one of the mutants that still roamed around the destroyed cities. I took a blind shot at one of the heads and ran.
The mutant roared in pain and staggered after me. Eventually it caught up and I was on the brink of getting caught, I leapt to the right as we approached a dead end, and the mutant smashed right into it. Sending debris flying left and right. I held my hands above my head and stood up. The mutant was laying on the ground, it looked dead. I walked over to it and carefully reached my hand down and touched it's back. It leapt up, roaring. It's eyes blazed blood red and it was twice it's original size. Fangs grew out of it's mouth and huge spines grew from it's back.
It leapt forward, swinging it's arms wildly. I slashed at it with a piece of glass I had picked up without knowing, it barely had an effect. The creature swung and hit my head, I fell to the ground. A trickle of blood dripping down my face. Out of the shadows a smaller figure appeared. Another human! It pulled out a rifle and shot the mutants once, twice, three times and it fell, dead.
I jumped up and moved towards where the person had appeared. But there was no one there. I looked about a little bit but to no avail. I moved on, always on the lookout.
-THE END-

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!