A Cherokee Tale- Remembering A Cherokee Boyhood

“No that mine!” Tama screamed, “ no it not!” Mai retorted, as she pulled harder on the small brown bear. I stood there watching, seeing what would happen. If anything good that to come outta this then it would be to appreciate what you got and don’t complain. Lenapi (leh-nah-pay)
Came floating downstairs like a mourning dove and swooped up the two girls in both hands for she was quite strong and said “oi, you two had better stop fighting or I’ll have to separate you”. The two girls stopped fighting as though as if someone had stuck a pin in their backs, then they smiled sweetly.
She put them down and they ran off giggling, “oh what did us young’uns get ourselves into?” I held her tight and took in the sweet smell of lavender and rosemary; I knew straight away that she had been in the gardens, planting those flowers ready for the blooming season. I whispered in her ear, “ I kin ye my darling Leh”, she looked up with soft surprise and smiled.
“Leh? It been a long time since you been calling me Leh”
“I’ve been thinking about my old ways lately”
“Really? How so?”
“I reckon we should take a trip, all 5 of us to the mountains of Tennessee, the place I learn all meaning of world and where I grew up with my granma and granpa after my ma and pa died” at that very moment, I felt a wave of excitement at the thought of returning to my original home, where I met the birds and the sky and the trees, where I helped granpa with the whiskey trade and granma telling me stories from a flickering candle and lying in my secret place surrounded by all that I understand and want to live with.
“Maybe we should ask the children”
“Of course”
Lenapi and me kissed lightly on the lips and walked hand in hand out side to see Tama and Mai rolling around with the hounds covered in earth dirt and screaming in joy. “Blackfox! Ahhh… hahaha!”
“Pa, Pa! Look! Ego can do a trick” Mai clapped her hands and scrunched her nose in a giggle; ego softly placed his hind on the ground and barked in response. Both girls broke into a fit of laughter and wrestled again with the hounds.
We laughed with them, as it was enjoyable to watch children playing with the hounds.
“Where’s Takoda?” Tama laughed,
“I suppose where is always is…”
“The trees will send for him”
The wind was light but breezy, the mixed brown leaves rustled and brushed against the dried trunks of mother trees, and the soft whistle of wind streaming through the branches caught my attention, Takoda was back. “Ma! Pa!” Takoda’s feet didn’t make a sound as they pressed into the ground with each run, as he known that Cherokees are never seen, unless they intend to be seen.
He wrapped his small, delicate arms around my waist as though we hadn’t seen him in a long time. “You want to go for a adventure?”
“Yes, but I reckon Ego and Blackfox will have to come too, and maybe Tama and Mai if they are nice to me” I hollered into the sky and the birds chirped along as if it was one massive joke. “Everyone will have to go” Lenapi said loud enough so everyone could hear over my laughter.
Both girls jumped up and cheered, “Yay!”

It was still dark when we woke up, Lenapi put all her tools: sewing kit and knives and others in a sack for our trip and told the kids to put on their moccasins and deerskin shirts. This reminded me of how granma used to make my clothes and moccasins. We didn’t need much as we don’t rely on what we take; only what we find and make of it. I still hoped that my old home was still standing, but if it not then we just sleep on spring boughs from under cedar tree or we will get bitten by them red bugs.
I carry the supplies sack as Lenapi will look after kids, we also will stop to pick berries, as it is berry-picking season. In early morning, there is frosting a thin layer of ice over all the trees and grass and bushes. Ice fingers are pinned at the edges and ends of newborn branches and little droplets slowly slide down the fingers and refresh anything under it with new sky water. The air is cold and fresh and ready for the blooming season.
“Ma, when are we berry-picking?” Takota asks in a horse voice,
“When they are ready to be picked”
A smile slides across my face as I peek to see Lenapi’s face expression. “What you looking at Little Tree?” she smirks,
“Nothing”
“Ok, you gonna tell me when your too cranky to say anything?”
Mai and Tama giggled, I swung the supplies sack over my shoulder and cup my arms to fit around Lenapi’s waist and thighs and spun her into my arms, and she laughed like a little girl but my deep laughter seemed like a giants compared to her lovely, swan-like sounds escaping her throat.
I stopped suddenly; I recognized the trail, memories flooded in my mind. Hunting with granpa, playing in my secret place and walking like the silent Cherokees. “I think ye are on the high trail near my first home”
“Ok, ye know the way”
We pass tall trees covered with deep green vines and many brown, torn, and cracked leaves running along the trail making a scraping sound as they touch the ground. Poison Ivy lay across a ditch and looks as though it hasn’t been tamed for a while now. Then we walk passed a long bush smothered in ripe, luscious red berries. “Ma? Pa? Can we?” the children pleaded, Lenapi gave me a smirk and I nodded in approval. Lenapi sat by the children and picked berries for them as she usually made a small berry tart with it. I wondered along, she knows I come back, I always do.
The wind sways the trees and some small, not yet strong leaves brake free and fly into the sky, “Little Tree is back! He is back! He has returned home!” I heard them say, I feel like I am a kid again- the way I was when granma and granpa was alive and like I should be here, like I should’ve said goodbye properly. So I find the spot where granpa and granma was placed, their secret place. I see their names carved in stone, their marriage stick connecting them. I fall on my knees in front of them and hold out my hand, I feel they are watching me and speaking to me. I feel a soft hand on my shoulder, its Lenapi’s. I did not hear her, for I did not need to, “Are ye ok?”
“Yes”
I touched her hand and stood up, I held her gaze- her deep brown eyes curious and beautiful, she had worry and concern on her face, so I smiled and cupped my hands over my mouth and hollered, “WHOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEE!” It echoed down the mountain and I knew that granma and granpa heard me. I turned to Lenapi and said,
“Ye I remember”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!