The Flood

The Flood


Ella sat by her window snuggled under her warm blankets in her cosy bed. The wind was picking up quickly making the trees sway wildly from side to side. Ella peered over to see her mother Clara Lakes leaning in the doorway. Her face was quite pale and an uneasy look spread across her face. Her hair was sticking up at crazy angles and Ella knew she had only just woken up. “What’s wrong mum?’’ Ella slipped off her bed and made her way across the room, her feet echoing on the floorboards in the early morning quiet.
“We were just listening to the radio and there’s a big storm heading our way.’’ “Oh”, Ella paused and looked into her mother’s eyes, which were always full of happiness and now were shadowed with worry. ”They may cause bad flooding and lots of damage, so just to be safe were going to your grandparents house up on the hill where the floods won’t reach us” “yes mum”. Ella forced a smile onto her face.” I’ll just…..” “No, just get changed while I get you some breakfast” Ella nodded and grabbed some jeans and a t-shirt from the drawers. She hurriedly pulled them on and reached for her riding boots. She threw some clothes in a suitcase and brushed her shoulder length hair before finally tying it back loosely with a ribbon. She ran into the kitchen to have a bite to eat.

As the car pulled up outside grandma and grandpas Meyers house, the rain started and did not stop all through the night.
Lucy sat on the end of her bed her cup of hot chocolate warming her hands. The door opened with a creak.” Time for bed Ella” Ella raised her head to see grandma standing in the doorway. Ella nodded and set her mug down on the dressing table. ”I’m worried” “What about my dear” Grandma covered Ella in the soft warm blanket and sat down on the end of the bed. ” The floods” Ella answered “Oh, Ella you don’t have to be afraid” Grandmas words were soft and gentle and Ella knew that what she had said was true.

Over the next week everyone was uneasy and wanted to find out about the flooding, but they did not return till they were sure it was safe. When they did it was a sad sight for the floods had been even worse than expected. Many houses and schools and shops were flooded, but everyone worked together and soon everything was as good as new.
Nearly a month after the floods Grandma and Grandpa came to visit.
Grandma and Ella were sitting on the front verandah one afternoon enjoying the sun.” Ella I’m very proud of you and I know everyone is because you are a very brave girl”.
“ And I think that you are going to be a world changer”
Ella grinned, ” I just have to take one step and have faith.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!