Queensland's Gift: The Boulders




As we drive to our destination I look out and see the rainforest whizzing past my window and the only thing that is crossing my mind is ‘how far to go now?’ When we finally arrive, I jump out the car, towel in hand and as soon as I’m out I can smell the dense vegetation around me. Also I hear Ellen whining that she feels sick, but not me! I feel as fresh as a daisy! As I make my way down to the water, I can hear it rumbling in the distance, which only makes me walk faster. As I run past the bbq areas I see the tourists standing around. I hear them talking with an accent, sounds a little bit Scottish.

There seemed to be more than the usual amount of stairs leading to the water, but maybe it was because I was so excited’ I nearly slipped when I got to the last step. The water was a little colder than I had hoped for. I had goose bumps for a minute or two. Suddenly I wasn’t moving so fast into the water, because as the water rose up to my stomach, I stopped for a bit to catch my breath and assure myself it wasn’t really that cold.
Before I knew it I felt splashes down my back. OH, it was cold. I could hear the tourists laughing; they were really enjoying the water. I guess compared to the water in Scotland, this was probably not cold to them.

Once I had adjusted to the temperature a bit more, I heard Ellen and Dylan coming down the stairs. Dylan was laughing at me because I hadn’t started swimming. Once he put his foot into the water he soon realised the water felt a little too cool.
The rocks were awesome. I have a small rock collection at home, but these rocks were HUGE. I could see years of erosion, and so many colours from water staining over the years.

As I walk on the foot paths I can feel tiny little rocks under my feet, crunching away.
As I finally reach the BBQ area I can smell the sausages cooking away. Dylan, Ellen and I start to dry off, and suddenly a jubilant coloured butterfly lands on Dylan's towel and clings onto the towel with his tiny sticky feet. As I hear Dylan start to laugh at the little insect for being so stubborn!

After lunch I go back into the freezing cold water and swim to the other side. Then I climb up a tree and sit atop a boulder. As I gaze out to the water I can see the steam rising up off the water. I can hear birds chirping behind me. I look down at the water and see a deep ravine under me. Suddenly I realise how blissfully quiet it is up here….

By Jordan Thomas
Bartle Frere state school
Year 7

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!