That Text

“He’s so hot. I would do anything 2 hook up wif him rite now.” Looking up from her text, Dani sighed and looked around. She was sitting on a bench outside the Myer store in the shopping centre. Her Mum was inside buying clothes, whilst Dani sat outside texting her friend from boarding school, Rhi. Re-reading her text, Dani hit “Send” and walked over to the Dome café.
Rhi was getting ready for her netball game at the school where she boarded. When her phone went off, she reached over grabbed it. Reading the message from Dani she smiled, then sent one back saying “One day it will happen, even if not him.” She then continued to get ready for netball – it was going to be a hard game, they were playing one of the best teams around.
After the netball game, Rhi was discussing the text with Kel and Taylor.
“OMG,” said Taylor, “You should so send it to Chris, she went out with him and I know she still talks to him.”
“Awesome idea!” said Rhi, “Dani won’t care – I mean, she went to primary school with him and everything.”
Dani was relaxing in the hotel room she was sharing with her mum for the weekend. Watching TV, she thought about Rhys. Rhys was who she was talking about in the text to Rhi, the guy she had gone to school with for six years. Dani had seen Rhys again last year, and he had changed a lot. But at that time he was going out with Chris – even though it didn’t last. She had last seen him at a social two weeks ago. They hadn’t talked much – but now Dani couldn’t get him out of her mind.
“He would never like a chick like me – but that doesn’t stop me dreaming,” she thought, flicking through the channels.
Back at school, Rhi was watching “Bones” in her room with a mate when Chris came in.
“Hey guys,” she said, “Rhi, what was with that text?” Rhi paused the DVD and indicated to the bed.
“You know how Dani likes Rhys? Well she sent me that message this morning and I thought since you still talk to him and stuff…”
“Want me to put in a good word?” asked Chris
“Maybe.”
Chris thought for a couple of minutes before sending a message to Rhys which said: “Got this txt from Dani this morning – thought u mite want 2 kno what she thinks.” She then went on to say what the original message had said, and hit send.
That night Dani came back from her weekend out. When Chris walked past, she gave her an odd smile. “What the heck,” thought Dani, walking to Rhi’s room. Walking into Rhi’s room, Dani said Chris had seemed weird, and then Rhi told her why. Dani was absolutely shattered – she couldn’t believe her “friends” had done this to her. Walking to her room, Dani could feel her dreams slipping away with each tear.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!