Heaven

The cloaked man stared at Rosemarie, his icy black eyes boring into hers like shining darkness. She met his gaze as steadily as she could, before finding that it really wasn’t all that difficult as, when it came down to it, she wasn’t as afraid as she thought she would be.
“You do not have to die, Ms Wilson. I would love to spare your life,” his voice was as cold and monotonous as his eyes.
“Bodily life, in exchange for everything that makes me who I am?” she retorted as her eyes flashed a brilliant blue. “Such as my belief in freedom?”
“You could be a new person. Think of all the things you wish to change in your life. You might find that the idea is quite appealing after considering everything.”
“There are many things that I would like to change about what I have done,” her voice was as steely as her face, “but none of which you are offering to alter.”
“Your final decision?” he asked mildly. There was so much she had wanted to do in her life, but Rose found that she was as unbothered as he was. He was merely holding onto the chance of a new assistant, knowing that he’d still be perfectly fine if she denied him that.
“I am not going to work for you, killing people, if that’s what you’re asking.”
“Fine then,” he hissed. “But do not start begging now, or I will merely take enjoyment from it. Any last words, dead girl?”
“I won’t be begging for your mercy. You have none to give, and it’s not your mercy I need anyway. I love my life. But I love my Creator more. His is the mercy I crave.”
“Very well then,” he raised and cocked his gun, aiming it directly at her.
She was aware of the bullet as it sped through the air and into her chest, but she neither heard nor felt it. She knew of the presence of the pain, but was spared from actually experiencing it. Her eyes darted out the window to the budding garden outside, and she thought of the cool, lifeless winter changing into a mild, pleasant spring. She wished she would be there to see it, but was surprised to find that she didn’t have any regrets over dying. Only hope and love remained with her. Her eyes flickered shut, the last earthly sight they saw one of beauty and promise.

When Rosemarie’s eyes reopened, she felt as if no time had passed. She had died, but a Being that radiated goodness and purity existed before her. She had no idea how to describe Him, but she knew He was a Him. No, not a Him; the Him. He greeted her with a welcoming smile as He searched her soul, as she stood in wondrous amazement.
For once in her life, Rosemarie felt completely and utterly safe, and she was filled with joyous worship.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!