Balmoral Burn

Balmoral Burn

The Balmoral Burn is one of the toughest races in Sydney – the road is 450 metres up a steep road, the famous Awaba Street in Mosman. The Balmoral Burn started in 2007. It was organized by the Humpty Dumpty Foundation to help raise money for the children’s hospital equipment. That first year I watched the races with awe and imagined myself having a go one day.

The following year I was ready and set to run the great race but to my huge disappointment, I had missed it! Unfortunately, I was not aware of what time my race was on so when I turned up to register the race had already started and I was too late to run. Well, I guess it was my own fault because I had not been organized enough…

Finally, this year I was determined to do it properly. To make sure I registered on time, I woke up bright and early and walked down to the beach.

I had decided to run with my dog Rocky in the “Pet and Owner” race. Together we were 876. This was it. Time to tackle the Head of the Hill! My heart was beating so loud that I could not hear myself think. I tried my hardest to shove all the professional runners out of my way while at the same time struggling to keep Rocky from sniffing the other dogs and getting distracted from the race.

Suddenly, “BANG” went the gun and we were off! I could not believe how quickly we were overtaking other people as we ran full speed ahead! On either side of us I saw my brother and sister cheering us on, mum taking photographs, neighbours and other familiar faces.

It was already half way and Rocky was now dragging me up the rest of the hill. The steep hill was killing me and I was desperate for water. My throat was dried up and my legs were aching, while Rocky was perfectly fine! He could have carried on running past the finishing line and to the other end of Awaba Street! However, I was so determined to reach the shiny red ribbon that when I did make it I sank to the grass in exhaustion and relief.

I was so happy with my achievement and pleased with my result of 3:22 minutes. In fact, Rocky and I came thirtieth out of ninety- one competitors! I hope to beat my personal best next year!

By Shanelle Dervish

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!