Old Loves

It was a clear sky. The palm trees rustled in the wind, the gentle sound drowned out by the roar of the crashing waves. The sun’s glare glistened off the water’s surface, coating it in a constantly shifting white sheen as the waves bobbed up and down. Children laughed as they splashed through the water, seemingly limitless in their joy. Sandcastles were built and broken; shells were found and discarded, in their curiosity.

All in all, it was a perfect day, he thought as his mouth curved slightly into a small smile. He adjusted his sunglasses as he sat idly, staring off into the distance. The soft breeze gently rustled his brown hair, tinted gold in sunlight. He sat down at a table, enjoying the peace and quiet of the cafes atmosphere as waiters bustled around. He gazed out the window, watching children and couples alike in their happiness and glee. He sighed audibly; dropping his gaze as his features visibly sagged.

His self loathing was interrupted suddenly, an excited voice sounded out, “I want that one! Oh no no. I meant that one!” Turning his head towards the source of the voice, he noticed a child, a young girl, in her school uniform pointing out at various ice cream flavours at the counter. The man sighed at the girls antics, the woman standing behind the child smiled slightly. He cocked his head at her; she seemed so familiar he thought. His breath caught in his throat as she caught sight of him. She turned, facing him, shock evident on her face. ‘It couldn’t be’, he thought, desperately, removing his sunnies, peering at her with wide eyes. It was her.

He rose from his seat, nervousness written on his face. For a minute, neither of them talked. They just simply stood there, staring at each other as other patrons of the cafe continued on, oblivious to their predicament. He stared at her, memories previously forgotten in pain once again remembered.

She had changed he noticed. Her once beautifully kept blonde hair was now messy and tangled. Her eyes, he remembered to be bright and vibrant energetic blue were now cold, full of despair. He looked down in shame, unable to hold her gaze. “Sam,” he whispered to himself in grief, his fists shaking. Raising his chin, he met her eyes. “I’m-” he said, she shook her head, noticing for the first time she was crying, her tears rolling down her face.
“No,” she said, whirling around, running from the building, unable to stand it any longer. As she turned in her rush, a single teardrop fell. Almost like rain. Just like that day. It hit him, a sudden sharp pain forcing him to the ground. His eyes widened, he clutched his head as he sank to his knees. As he remembered, the day his troubles began.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!