Darkness Offers Possibilities That Light Can Not

I must be patient. It was already sundown and from my tangled, upside-down position I could see the sun setting steadily against the distant horizon. I estimated five minutes before I’d have the chance to unleash my true self; my real identity. Ever since I can remember, the darkness of the night has been my greatest comfort. God only knows I hardly survive the bright hours of each torturous day.
I wasn’t a typical bat; I loved the fresh water splashing my rough skin whilst it slowly dripped down my wings. The sun has now officially set, turning the sky pitch black. No matter, my exceptionally strong eyesight compensated for the lack of light; I could see clearly and effortlessly. I peered straight ahead, looking directly through an apartment’s window. Loving the view, I decided it was time to transform. I spun quickly around three times, chuckling in the process. As I jumped from the tree I had been hanging off, I stole a glimpse of my cold hands. They appeared incredibly pale against my black clothing. Oh yes, I definitely preferred my vampiric form, it enabled me to stretch out my limbs and apply my knowledge and hunting skills to practice. I bit into the air, releasing my sharp and dangerous fangs, scaring away the nearby birds. I flicked my long hair behind my ears and prepared to creep sneakily across the edge of the park. Overshadowed by the trees and concealed by the fantastic darkness, I made my way towards the apartment which housed my first potential victim for tonight.
I warmly embraced the gloom, silently expressing my appreciation for it. The darkness ensured that I was able to hunt, exercise and essentially live escaping notice and without attracting unwanted attention. It allowed me to simply be myself, flaws completely hidden from the world that consisted of ordinary humans and common creatures. Light, however, provided the exact opposite; it continually forced me into a solitary confinement in which I had no option but to sleep, rest and wait until nightfall relapsed.
Now was the opportunity. I reached my destination and cautiously climbed up the modern building until I reached my victim’s window. Quietly, I slid it open, crawled inside and silently approached the young man. Leaping onto him, I shut his mouth with my powerful hands in order to prevent any noise escaping on his behalf. I continued the attack by spinning him around, simultaneously exposing my large, pointy teeth in an effort to frighten the man further. Cracking his neck, I proceeded with stabbing my fangs into him, draining the blood from his lifeless body. It was thick and tasted sweet, proving to be completely worth the hassle of climbing up so many levels. I checked my watch, positively surprised that it was merely midnight. With darkness, an endless number of possibilities are supplied. I had approximately five hours before I was forced to return to my bat figure and I certainly intended on spending them well.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!