Fear

On a green hill near the sea was a village. It was a small and ordinary village. But the surroundings were very beautiful. There were mysterious trees with tall smooth brown trunks and dark green leaves that seemed to whisper to each other and a calm blue lake filled with native fish all colours of the rainbow. The villagers used the fish for food.
But the villagers were afraid of this peaceful lake and for a very good reason. Three months ago a man from the village went to explore the sea and found an egg that he thought was a turtle egg. When he got back to the village he put the egg in the lake thinking that when it hatched and grew up it would be good to eat.

Now the egg hatched but instead of a turtle it was a monster. The villagers named the monster Fear. Fear ate the fish and ate any brave or foolish villager who tried to catch the fish that this abomination horded and thought was his own, putting the village in constant fear.

In the village there were three kids called Judah, Jess and Ness. Jess and Ness were eleven and Judah was twelve. Judah, Jess and Ness decided to see if they could do something about the horror that was causing so much agony and sadness in their village.

After they did their chores and jobs they met at Judah`s house to discuss what they would do. Ness suggested “we should drain the lake.” “That won’t help us,” replied Judah “All the fish will die”. “I know,” said Jess, “In the night we can lure Fear onto the land with food then throw a net on him, wake up the village and they can toss him in the sea”.

So in the night they crept to the lake with the food and net. Judah then placed the food near the lake and they climbed a tree to hide. They waited for an hour until Jess suddenly whispered “There he is.” They watched as Fear crawled up to the food, slithering like a snake. When he reached the food he stopped and sniffed the air. The scared children watched from the tree afraid that they would be discovered. Fear lowered his head and started eating the food. Jess threw the net onto Fear and then all three children climbed down and ran to the village. As they ran they could still hear Fear howling and thrashing in the net, trying to break free.

When they reached the village most people were already awake because of the noise that Fear was making. The children explained to the leader of the village what they did and he sent men to carry Fear to the sea.
The next day when Fear had been thrown in the sea there was rejoicing that the monster was gone and the village could enjoy their beautiful lake once more.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!