Happy New Year

2nd in the 'Xtreme Read 2009' competition

The New Year finally arrived and after days of lying in a cold, dark cupboard it was time for my show to begin. I was to be the calendar for the McIntosh family for the 2009 year. I would be so proud to display the twelve pages of roses I had inside. I was hung up for everyone to see. What an important job I would have!
I began by showing a beautiful iceberg rose for all to admire. I was so proud to display such beauty. The iceberg would cool those hot summer days. I proudly highlighted an important date this month — Andrew’s birthday. I was very excited as the day arrived. I felt part of the celebrations.

January passed and for February I proudly displayed a beautiful, bright pink
miniature rose. This brought colour to the household. I had lots of important dates written on me as Thomas and James went to school.
Autumn arrived and Alicia’s birthday was getting close. I felt important as Thomas and James told Mummy how many sleeps until her birthday. I had such a beautiful rose to show off too. It was a climbing rose, mauve in colour and flecked with white. I smiled to myself as visitors admired me.

I was covered with pen in April as Abby the golden retriever turned two and the Easter Bunny visited. I displayed a beautiful bright, red rose for May. I think people almost thought I was real. Someone even leaned over to smell me.

The cold of winter set in but I brought warmth with a sea of colour. I displayed yellow, orange and red roses and a gold star was placed on 3 1st July and James’ Birthday written in big letters. I loved to show off!
Spring came and I brought beauty to the house. I knew something special was getting close as my September page was turned over and days began to be counted down. Thomas grew very excited when he saw October circled. He would run to me every morning to count down the days. How I loved birthdays, especially the children’s.

Soon after, a tree was being decorated and cards hung up as Christmas neared. Thomas and James were crossing off the days to the 25th. I joined in the celebrations with my display of the Christmas rose and was covered in silver tinsel. I even sneaked a peek at Santa munching on a chocolate chip cookie.
As presents were opened and Boxing Day passed by, I noticed something new nearby. Olden Days 2010 glared at me and I knew my time was coming to an end. I had felt such a special part of the family during the year but I was sad at how easily I could be replaced. I’m sure they forgot all about me as I made my way to the recycling centre to be made into a shoe box.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!