Never One Without The Other

Never One without the Other
Callie ran. She could run faster than any other 14 year old. Her style caught my eye. I was a runner.

But she could run!
“Hey!” I called to Callie. Callie was the new girl. “Race you round the track!”

“Sure!” She replied, pushing her short, blonde hair out of her eyes. “What’s your name?”

“Rita.”

“Cool. On your marks, get set, GO!” We ran. I barely kept up. A silvery laugh flew back to me from Callie, and it made me smile.

From that day, it was Callie and Rita, never one without the other.

Later, fight club started. I dreaded it. I had been so nervous. Callie hadn’t been.
I did terribly. I hated it. Unlike Callie. Her hands flew and had everyone flat on the floor in seconds. The rest of the girls and I ended up watching. Callie smiled.

“Wasn’t that fun?” Callie cried ecstatically. “I’m going to conduct break time fight club!”

“I’ll use your absence to catch up on homework.” I said bitterly.

“Come on Rita! It’s only Mondays. I can still hang out with you.”

I walked ahead.

“Rita,” said Callie. “I have found something I’m good at...”

“That’s the point!” I cut in. “You’re good at EVERYTHING! I can’t have something I’m better than you at! Just because I’m not as good as you, you think that you can leave? I try and support you, because that’s all I’m able to do!” I left.

***

Everyone was in fight club. It was on 5 days a week. I was lonely. Every break if Callie wasn’t directing fight club, she was in the library. She never smiled anymore, never even laughed.

I missed her, but rejected fight club.

That was a mistake.

I never even ran anymore, and I realised that I needed Callie. She kept me happy. I was alone. Callie wasn’t feeling great either.
Callie had depression problems. She had left her previous school because she had been bullied to breaking point. She had been transferred when found on the ledge of the 18th storey of a building. She had been having sessions with the school counsellor, keeping herself busy. But she felt suicidal again since I had abandoned her.

Callie was standing in the computer room. I had been sorting students’ files, and had found out about her. Callie came over to me, and saw her own medical record, spread across the screen. She looked at me.

“I didn’t know.” I said.

“I’m sorry.” She whispered.

“You’re sorry!” I said. “I looked at your file!”

“I’m sorry for not telling you!” Callie flung herself into my arms.

“I guess you need me as much as I need you.” I told her.

***

“On your marks, get set, GO!” I screamed, and we took off. I was just keeping pace with Callie, and I heard her laugh. It made me smile.

She just beat me at the end. We both grinned and whispered, “Callie and Rita, never one without the other.”



FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!