Malibu Drive

It seemed like it was a glorious morning when I woke up in my cosy bed with cosy pillows. As I went to put my alarm on snooze I realized a horrible truth - it was Saturday. Probably the worst day know to man, Garage sale day! As I hopped up and changed, with tremendous speed my dad shot in and was looking in my drawers.
“What are you doing? I just cleaned my cupboard yesterday” I said to him.
“I’m looking for the car keys Harry, and if I find out that you have hidden them somewhere just so we can’t go, I’ll make you sleep outside with just underpants on!”
“Ok, ok settle down. I’ll help you in a minute”.
As I finished getting changed and had my breakfast I sat down to watch some TV. I heard a yahoooo from the kitchen.
“I found them!” yelled my Dad. “Come on Harry let’s go. I have a Malibu surfboard I have to pick up and I have to be there by 10:00am or he will give it to someone else”.
“Do I have to come? I said.
“Yes, you have to come.”

Soon after that we were on the road heading to Copper Hill, which was half an hour away.
“Wow, slow down Dad” I said nervously.
“I want to get up this hill Harry so we can get down safely” he said back to me.
“Have you ever thought about getting up the hill safely?” I answered back.
“No” he said
As we got to the top of the hill Dad started to brake but we weren’t slowing down. We were speeding up.
“Why aren’t you braking Dad?” I yelled.
“The brakes aren’t working!” he yelled back at me.
In all the excitement the car veered violently to the left so that we were facing oncoming traffic. By then I had realised that my Dad had fainted.

In my bravery I hopped onto my Dad’s lap and started to steer. At first it seemed like we would get to the bottom of the hill and would come to a stop but as we got closer to the end of the hill I could see that there was a brick wall at the bottom. Instantly I tried to turn into the right lane but as I did I clipped a car and it only took that to start a chain reaction. Firstly the car started to spin, then it hit another car and suddenly flipped up into the air and was heading down straight towards us. I quickly sped up and the car landed just behind us. At that moment I wasn’t paying attention to where I was driving, then WHAM!. I hit a large object off the truck in front of me. From the car it looked as if I had hit a billboard sign miles up into the air.
“Oh well” I said to myself. “At least the hard part is over.”

At that very instant I could see the brick wall only 300 metres in front of me. At that moment I felt something touching my back. It was Dad. He pointed to the left side of the wall. To my surprise the billboard sign had landed at a ramp-like position just to the left of us.
“Thanks Dad” I said to him. But he was too scared to even speak.
I followed what my Dad had told me and tried to get into the left lane. I couldn’t because the truck from earlier was there. I sped up, but the truck sped up as well. I sped up some more and the truck also sped up. I decided to give it all the car had and flew past the truck, up the ramp and into the sky. All I could hear was some girly screams from behind me. We had jumped over about three houses and then splashed into a pool.

As I swam up to the surface holding a shaking man I saw two people and they seemed to be holding a Malibu surf board.
“What’s the time?” I asked my dad.
“One minute past ten” I said.
“Oh well! We will have to find another Malibu surfboard”.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!