Saving Hand

Callie stayed awake, alone in the darkness of her room. She was petrified, shivering with fear. She could still hear his voice inside her head, saying to her over and over that he would come tonight. She knew what he planned to do. The door handle turned and Chris’ tall figure stepped in. Callie gasped as she was dragged by her hair from her bed and thrown onto the floor. He ran towards her but she scrambled to her feet and struck him across the face with all her strength. He punched her in the stomach and she fell to her knees. She staggered back up and he tried to force her back down.

Overwhelmed with terror, Callie fell at Chris’ feet, pleading him to have mercy on her. He stared at her helpless body, the hatred radiating from his bloodshot eyes. He grabbed her and threw her against the wall. Callie smashed into the wall and gritted her teeth to stop herself from crying out. In the dark, she could see his shadow coming towards her. Chris took Callie’s face in his hands and pulled it towards him, leaning in to whisper in her ear.

“You little bitch,” he hissed. “Don’t you understand? I’m saving you! Saving you from failure. You would be nothing without me. Nothing!” In anger and rage, Callie pushed him away.

“You have nothing on me! You don’t even know me! You don’t love me; you’ve only been using me! I gave you what you wanted once! I gave everything I had to you! I was blind to not see it! You tricked me! You promised that if I gave you what you wanted you would protect me! But you lied because the only thing I need protecting from is you and your games. GET OUT!”

Chris screamed angrily and lunged for Callie. The door flung open and Adrian came in. He grasped Chris, restraining his advance. “Stop,” he said calmly. Chris glowered at Callie.

“You haven’t won,” he hissed at her. “I’ll get you eventually! You’ll see!” He shrugged off the hands that restrained him and left the room, slamming the door behind him. Adrian turned towards Callie, his eyes full of concern. She stared sadly into those concerned eyes.

“Don’t tell anyone of what you have seen, Adrian. If you do, I will take my life.” Callie turned away from Adrian and ran from his sight. But he caught up with her, grasping her hand to stop her. Callie turned quickly and lashed out to hit him but he caught her striking hand. Callie fell into Adrian’s arms and cried on his shoulder.

“I will never let him hurt you again,” Adrian murmured, stroking Callie’s hair comfortingly. “I will be your saving hand. I promise.” Callie embraced Adrian tighter, never wanting to let him go. She felt safety in his arms and wanted to hold that feeling forever.

“Thank you Adrian,” Callie whispered gratefully and she meant it with all of her heart.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!