Falling Through The Black

She glanced around herself, over her shoulder, off to the side, up ahead. The place was crowded, squeezing her way through the crowd was difficult, but in the end manageable.
No one would notice she was gone, its not like they ever have, so way would they this time?
She came to the dock wall, heaved her self up on top and sat down.
The clouds were black rolling over the ocean, just like the blood that had spilled from Danny, thinking about the sweet little boy made her heart hurt. Killed in cold blood with no reason at all, and it was her fault.
She shook her head, trying to push all the bad images from her mind, Danny’s broken, lifeless body, laying on the pavement.
Danny’s golden hair plastered to his skull with dried blood.
Danny’s tiny wooden casket and headstone.
Her little Danny, gone forever.

If she had never gone to that club, looking for a job, anything to keep them afloat, then he wouldn’t be gone.
She watched the people, laughing and playing at the shore. Watched happy families, knowing hers was broken. She stood up and walked along the brick wall, totally in balance in her determination.
Her eyes were dry, she was past tears. As she neared the highest point the wall stood, people started noticing her, yelling out. She ignored them and kept going, just as the other men had when they’d beaten her Danny, and just as Cameron had when he was laying in that hospital bed, years ago, slipping away, past trying to come back.
She stood over the sea, looking down, knowing it would be over soon and she’d be home.
She took a step forward, off the bricks, she fell through the air, almost floating, felt the sharp pain as she hit the ground and glided off happily to Danny and Cameron, up in the clouds waiting for her to come home.
Flying through the baby soft fluff, searching her way to The Above, she wondered if the were waiting, missing her, wondering about her. Then she broke through the cotton and saw them, waiting up there, Cameron holding their golden baby boy, both of them smiling down at her, no sign of the bad times, and terrible deaths that befell them.
She was whole again, she was back where she belonged.
She was herself again.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!