On A Sour Note

To the miracle makers,
We lemons are tired of our horrible life. We feel different, isolated, hurt and rejected. We want a change.
We are quite sick of being stuck in a tree. Many of the fruit and vegetables below us have the privilege of growing in the dirt. We wish we lived in a vegetable patch. Then we could see the worms and slaters, and the cute little ladybugs would fly around us.

We aren’t eaten whole, we’re full of pips and pith, and we are acidic. The fruit and vegetables around us are continuously saying that we’re weird because of these things. We wish we tasted better and were more attractive.

We think many other fruits and vegetables have a lot more benefits than us in life.
For instance:
Carrots are favoured by rabbits. But even Bugs Bunny never ate a lemon!
Cucumbers come in burpless and burpy form. But we just come in SOUR form!
Lettuces are used in salad sandwiches. But have you ever heard of lemon in a sandwich?
Broccoli are lucky because they are packed with iron. But nobody just goes and eats a lemon to be healthy!
Potatoes keep nice and cool on a hot day because they live underground. But what about us in the heat - we boil!
Runner beans can run all over the place. But we are stuck with hanging on branches!
Beetroots are brightly coloured and served up in salads. But we’re lucky if one slice of lemon ends up on a salad plate!
Onions are commonly used with hamburgers and sausages. But would you want lemon on your sausage?
Strawberries are red, sweet, juicy and extremely popular. But no-one wants lemons and cream for dessert!

We wish we could be like the other fruit and vegetables. That would be like a dream come true. We hope that there will be a sudden change in our life coming soon.

Yours sourly,
LEMONS

Story written by: Rebecca Jenkins, 9 years
Address: 120 Karoo Rd, Rowville VIC 3178
Year 4, Karoo Primary School (Karoo Rd Rowville)

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!