A Child's Nightmare

I hear rustling in the other side of my bedroom. My eyes open abruptly and I try to adjust my eyes to the darkness of the night. Failing to do so, I go back to my deep slumber and pull the blanket over my head.
Awoken again in which seems like a few seconds, my door starts to creak. I emerge from my sleeping state and am fully awake now. Slowly peering around my big, empty room, I discover an eerie shadow from behind my toy box. Suddenly, strange shadows are everywhere and I can hear the quiet hum of the house.
My heart beats faster and faster as the silhouettes start to close in on me. I hide under my covers as if my bed was a castle and pray that these terrifying images are just a trick of the night. Scenes from every frightening movie flash in front of my eyes as if I am haunted. The noises cease, I withdraw from my security sheet and rest. With my pulse slowing and my mind wandering, I begin to think I’m alone.
The blinds on the far window waft in and out as if they were in fact breathing. I can’t seem to recall opening that window, my pulse quickens and I begin to sweat. As the blinds crash and the shadows again come out from hiding, the sounds of harsh footsteps fill the air.
A random surge of energy fills my body and I rush to the door as quick as a flash of lightning; then manage to turn on the light. As I study the empty content of my bedroom, I’m astounded to discover that the far window was indeed open and the moonlight was casting a silhouette on the whole room. I now realize that my worries were just in my mind; but just to be safe I bend over and check under my bed for lurking predators.
Failing to find an eligible reason that I can’t go back to sleep, I turn off the light and gently lay my head back down; being careful not to let my mind wander.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!