Save Me

The room was dark, save a few weak candles spluttering in the corner. A pale hand picked gently at the wax lining the wooden table. A young woman looking around eighteen kneeled in front of the candles. She smiled, her eyes closing, ‘I can see…’ she murmured,
‘See….what?’ The older girl turned slowly to the much younger, frail looking girl, ‘Patience…if you are pure, you will see them too…’ The brunette fumbled with her skirt belt, ‘…B-but….I-I don’t know….if I-I’m ready….’ She began. The other girl turned, tending to the candles, which had almost gone out, ‘Dani, I trust you, you’ll be fine,’ The weak light of the candles barely revealed Dani was blushing, “I-if you say s-so…’ The girl smiled, running a hand through her neat blond hair and sighing happily, ‘If they accept you….I’ll have my own apprentice….’ Dani nodded, ‘S-sure thing Mirabelle….’ She murmured. Mirabelle beckoned with a hand. Dani knelt beside Mirabelle, who placed a hand gently on her shoulder, ‘Remember…respect,’ she whispered. Mirabelle clapped her hands murmuring something inaudible A mass of purple clouds enveloped her. Dani panicked, shutting her eyes tight, ‘My child….’ A voice purred. Dani sucked in a deep breath, her heart pounding against her ribs, ‘Y-yes…?’ she murmured weakly. There was a soft, tinkling laugh, like sleigh bells. Something gentle passed by Dani’s ear, ‘Don’t be afraid, child….’ Dani swallowed, opening her eyes. Dani screamed and stumbled. There was more tinkling laughter. Dani stared, The figure in front of her was wreathed in smoke, but the figure was someone Dani knew very well, ‘Don’t call me ‘child’ Silvvy,’ she snapped. Silvvy glared, ‘This is a different world. Here, you must treat me with respect,’ Dani desperately suppressed a snort of contempt, the notion of showing her respect was almost ridiculous, “O-okay….Silvvy,’
“Now you must address me properly….’ Dani gulped,
‘P-properly…?’ Silvvy nodded,
‘You should address me properly…as Master….’ Dani’s eyes almost popped out her head, ‘W-what!’ she gasped, ‘B-but you’re just a…p-pipsqueak!’ she said incredulously, ‘I-I mean….How can I possibly….’ ,
‘I was planning to accept you, after seeing all that hard work you did with Mirabelle….but….I don’t think you deserve to be a spirit medium….’ Dani glared,
‘SILVVY!’ she shouted, ‘You can’t do this! I CAN tell you what to do!’ Silvvy hissed,
‘You and your friends will pay for this….’ Dani’s eyes widened as she realized what she’d just done.

She found herself kneeling at the table, Mirabelle smiling at her hopefully. Dani stared at her for a moment, hands trembling. She buried her hands in her face and sobbed. Mirabelle gasped, putting an arm around Dani’s shoulder, ‘Dani!’ Mirabelle said, ‘What happened?’ Dani stared at Mirabelle with red eyes,
‘I-I ruined everything!’
‘I suggest you stay here a while,’ she said, ‘Maybe Silvvy will appear.’
‘I-I don’t want to be alone here….’
‘But I’m afraid you must stay tonight….’
‘Oh please let this night be over quickly….’ Dani murmured, curling up in a ball under the table.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!