King Hit

The crisp night air coming through the open window was sobering to the three people gathered in the room. They were the only people left after the 15th birthday party of twins Graeme and Gemma. Graeme lunged for another beer, popped it open and took a swig, spilling half of it down his front. They sat in a circle on the bed, cards scattered between them from their recent game of poker. Graeme was in a mood having lost over half of his birthday money to his sister’s boyfriend, Kevin. He finished the beer, crushed the can and took a drunken shot at the bin, missing and hitting his sister’s small television flickering in the corner.
“What did you do that for?” Gemma said sharply, jumping off her bed.
“I was aiming for the bin,” Graeme slurred, warily eyeing his sister.
“I think you two have had too many drinks,” Gemma said curtly, bringing Kevin into the conversation.
“Ohhhh…. come on we’re celebrating,” Kevin whined to his girlfriend.
“Fine, but don’t whine to me when both of you get grounded,” she warned.
“Gem, could I stay the night, ‘cause my parents are home and they’ll go ape if they see me in this state,” slurred Kevin, thinking about what his girlfriend had just said.
“I’m sure that’s not the only reason,” Graeme added before wolf whistling and getting kicked in the back for his efforts.
“Come and help me get the spare bed,” Gemma said, standing up and gesturing to Kevin.

Graeme had started to lean back when he noticed Kevin’s wallet. The temptation of getting back some of his $120 birthday money he had lost was too strong. He crept over and started to open the wallet when he heard Kevin coming, he dropped the wallet, sending its contents spilling across the floor. Graeme froze unsure of what to do. Kevin stopped dead in his tracks when he saw Graeme holding his empty wallet. “What the hell are you doing?” Kevin yelled accusingly. Graeme was sick of Kevin and this accusation, despite being justified, pushed him over the edge and into a red haze. “Getting MY money back,” he yelled back.
“It’s not yours anymore,” Kevin yelled, “I won it fairly.”
“I bet you rigged it,” Graeme accused.
“How could I rig it so you put sixty dollars on two pairs,” Kevin retorted, “that’s your stupidity.”
Gemma had heard the yelling but couldn’t make out what was going on. She ran into the room to find her brother charging, fists flailing, towards Kevin. They were both a foot taller and bulkier that Gemma but she ran forward and tried to pull Graeme away. Graeme easily shrugged her light frame off onto the bed, before relaunching his attack on Kevin.
“You’ve had it now,” Kevin yelled as Graeme’s fist made contact with Kevin’s solid stomach. He picked up Graeme and dumped him on the bed, hoping that this display of strength would put Graeme off, but it enraged Graeme further. Gemma tried again, this time she tugged at Kevin yelling desperately to try and stop them fighting, but the boys showed no sign of stopping and their strength limited her ability to separate them. With Kevin temporarily distracted by Gemma, Graeme managed to connect with Kevin’s nose, sending Kevin into a daze. Gemma watched horrified as Graeme advanced, unsure of how to act. In a burst of strength Kevin landed a punch on Graeme’s temple. Everything slowed down as Graeme fell backwards, his head made a loud clunk as it made contact with the metal bed frame. His body slumped motionless against the bed. Kevin backed away sobering up, horrified as he realised what he had done. Gemma ran to Graeme’s side trying to get a response. Kevin turned and ran downstairs to phone an ambulance, while Gemma continued her efforts. “Come on, don’t leave me, I’m sorry for all those stupid arguments we had, I’ll do whatever you want me to if you just wake up for me,” she pleaded, tears rolling down her cheeks as she shook her brother’s shoulders increasingly desperately.

Kevin returned to find Gemma kneeling quietly next to her limp brother having given up trying to get a response, her body racked with sobs. He carefully approached, unsure of what to do. He placed a hand on her shoulder. She quickly shrugged it off, turning away from Kevin. She started to sob heavily before leaning over and hugging her brother, her whole body shaking. She stayed in that position until the ambulance pulled into the driveway…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!