Save The Hero

My feet crunched as I stepped on the soft, clear, white snow. A thick fog surrounded me. Tall, dark trees were grouped nearby, like soldiers of a large army. I turned around and looked into a pair of deep, brown eyes. They were full of concern. A confusing mix of emotions overwhelmed me and a drop of water formed in the corner of my eye. My mom hugged me tightly and for a moment I hoped she would not let go. She stepped back and took my hand. Her warm, friendly smile comforted me.
‘ I have something to tell you.’ I declared. But she ignored me and hugged me once more. Her lips softly whispered two small words into my ear. ‘Be safe.’ they said, as I engraved them into my memory. Then it was my time to leave.

In misery, I headed towards the large, brick building and the harsh, violent crowd. I looked back at my mother’s immobile silhouette. I stood there, staring, until I was engulfed by the huge mass of people. It felt like drowning. I desperately tried to breathe but I was being pulled down further and further. I was fiercely pushed to the side and caught a last, quick glimpse at my mother. Then she was gone. I pushed forwards and tilted from side to side. All I could see were faces. Tears came drooping down my cheeks.
‘ NO!’ I cried. I gasped and choked. Finally I gave up, my vision blurring.

I climbed into the train and searched for my seat. I sat down opposite a large man wearing a woollen jumper and a pair of glasses. An old-fashioned watch hang around his wrist and his hazelnut eyes stared forward. He didn’t move. He didn’t even look like he was breathing. I felt fear catch up on me. I turned to the window and stared at the snowy platform. My eyes flickered towards the man and I secretly watched him. He didn’t blink.

The train started. It moved on, leaving the station. The speed increased. The train was full but not one person seemed alive. Every face I met was still, motionless. My head spun round and I saw a young lady holding a little baby in her arms. She had calm blue eyes, dark skin and long, thin wavy hair. Her baby cried and she started softly singing. I sighed in relief and stared out the window. A long line of big, snowy, purple mountains and large, white fields stretched in the distance. A shadow. I narrowed my eyes. A tall, thin shadow walked outside far out. It was coming closer at an impossible speed. A door shut. I jumped. The lady and her child was gone. I stood up in panic. All the eyes of the corpses flickered to me. A long, loud piercing scream echoed in the train. My window shattered to pieces and something pushed me to the ground. Two words echoed in my ears. ‘Be safe’.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!