Making Friends!



It was a very rainy Friday and John Hansen was walking home from school all by himself. He was about half way home when the rain got heavier, he started to jog, the rain got heavier still and by the time he got home it was hailing and he was sprinting. He was the slowest kid in his class and he got picked on about it. Some people called him slow poke and some called him geeky which he slightly was. He had no friends at all apart from his pet cat, and most of the time it scratched him so he wasn't very sure if it counted as a friend.

At tea time John wasn't very hungry and his Mum had cooked his favourite, roast lamb. "I'm not hungry tonight thanks Mum," he said. "Not even for roast lamb," said his Mum. "But it's your favourite," finished off his sister Lisa. "Not even roast lamb", he replied, “and if you don't mind I might just head straight to bed."
"OK," said his Dad.

The next morning John was up and completely ready before anyone else was awake. He was happy because every Saturday his whole family went fishing.

The rest of the family got up and got ready to go fishing. His Dad got the boat and fishing gear, his Mum and Lisa got the snacks ready and John just sat there working out really tricky maths problems (which is geeky). Before long they where at the boat ramp and John saw at least half of his class partying on a huge floating dance floor. Lisa yelled. "You weren't invited were you John, because you don't have any friends!" John didn't reply. Dad was almost finished getting the boat ready when "BANG" the motor on the floating dance floor had exploded and the whole structure was on fire. The smoke was terrible and only three people made it to shore without passing out. John’s Dad called 000 and asked for all services but they would take ages. John knew he had to do something. So he filled a bucket with water, threw it at the dance floor and cleared just enough of the fire to allow him to get in and out once if he was quick. He grabbed the closest person and carried him onto the jetty. He left him on the jetty for the others to look after. He did that with the seven other kids who passed out. The last person was a tough one, it was an adult. John was going to need some help “DAD!” he called and his dad was straight over. He dipped the bucket into the water and threw it onto the flames. A pathway was made for John and his Dad got on the boat and rescued the adult. When they came out with the man, everyone cheered “go John” and “thanks John”. John was really happy with himself because he had friends now. (Not just his cat).

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!