I Remember

I can still remember with clarity exactly what I saw that day I found out. Every smell, every touch, and every sound. It replays over and over in my head; sometimes when I’m lying in bed trying to fall asleep, sometimes when I’m in the middle of a conversation. It just comes back to me and again it takes my breath away and my eyes start to sting from holding the tears back.
I remember the smell of the red roses as I walked out our front door and down the path to my mum’s little red car. I remember the feel of the silence as my mother drove me to the doctor’s surgery, and the feel of the sun shining brightly through the windows. I remember thinking to myself why hasn’t mum said anything? She’s the parent; she’s the one who is supposed to assure me everything is going to be okay, even when it might not be.
I remember walking into the building and feeling the breeze as a child ran past me with his mother chasing closely behind. I remember the feel of the leather seats sticking to the exposed skin where my skirt did not cover. I remember the waiting, God, do I remember the waiting! Sitting there with my palms sweating and my legs sticking together until finally DR. Roe appeared, saying the two words I was waiting for, ‘Mia Gale’.
I remember getting up and my mother gripping my hand so tight I thought it would break. I remember looking up at her face and realising she was just as scared as I was. I remember walking down the long hallway to his room. It seemed to go for miles, but looking back now we probably only walked about twenty steps.
I remember him telling me with that look on his face, the one all doctors get when they wish someone else had to give the bad news. I remember my mum bursting into tears and hugging me as I just sat there blank faced, blank minded. I remember them talking about medicines and timelines, I remember exactly the way his mouth moved when he spoke. Every word like a dagger through my heart making no sense to me at all but at the same time sealing my fate.
I remember mum babbling the whole way home, I remember not listening and not caring. I remember walking back up those front steps and smelling the roses, wishing that they weren’t there and wishing I wasn’t either. I remember walking past my dad and the feel of his hand on my shoulder and sliding down my arm as I continued past him without a word. I remember walking up the stairs to my room, and closing my door. Hoping that by closing the 5cm thick wood I could close out the rest of the world and not have to deal with the problems that seemed like they’d be here for a while, if not forever.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!