A Cinderella Story

Feeling nervous and slightly foolish, the teenage girl began to make her way up the steps of the hotel. The glow from the streetlamps illuminated the white marble walls that lit up the building against the dark starry night. The sounds of laughter and music floated with the evening breeze. Reaching the doorway, she hesitated before entering.
Quietly she made her way through the foyer until she came to a ballroom. Countless beautifully dressed ladies stood, politely chatting, eagerly awaiting the guest of honour, in the hope that only she would be noticed. Shyly, the girl moved to the side. She had barely taken a few steps when a hand caught her arm. Turning quickly, she came face to face with a handsome young man. He was dressed, formally, in a tuxedo; his face open, friendly. His gentle smile made her heart flutter.
“Would you like to dance?”
Feeling herself beginning to blush, she nodded and accepted the hand he offered her. He led her to the dance floor, and all eyes followed as they began to dance.
She soon lost herself in the music. Never before had she felt this happy as her handsome companion twirled her round and round. The colours of the ballroom seemed to swirl; her silky midnight blue gown shimmered in the lights. A slower song began to play and he held her closer. Closing her eyes, she felt an overwhelming sense of joy radiate through her whole being, along with the warmth of the fires that burned in the ballroom. It was a wonderful feeling.
As the clock began to strike, she froze. She had to leave. Freeing herself from her companion, ignoring his anguished cries, she ran from the ballroom across to the doors, and fled down the steps, her hair and gown trailing behind her whipping about in the wind. Voices were calling out, getting closer. Suddenly! She tripped! Quickly regaining her footing she continued her frantic dash, stumbling along the way. She had lost a shoe. There was no time to go back!
Vanishing into the darkness, she reached a waiting taxi, and scrambled inside. The door closed just as she…

…woke with a start. It took a moment for her to realise that she was in the park.
Oh, she thought in disappointment. It was just a dream. “But what a beautiful dream,” she whispered with a sigh, throwing off the newspapers she used for blankets and swinging her legs over the side of the bench. She shivered; the ragged clothes she wore provided little protection against the cold morning wind. A flash of reflected light caught her eye. Reaching out into the shadows, the tips of her fingers brushed against something cold and smooth. Her heart lurched. It couldn’t be! Holding it before her like a priceless treasure, she rose to her feet; the first rays of morning light reflecting off the elegant silver shoe she held in her hands.
THE END

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!