We Close Our Eyes

I close my eyes. Only muffled sobs are heard. Dad wipes his tears, the casket is covered and everyone leaves.
“I can’t believe it Jacob,” wails Cassie, and I can’t either. I wave good-bye to Mum’s grave, as we turn to go.
Dad’s taking her death the hardest. Night after night he stumbles into the house, goes to his room and cries. I want to help him but he’s violent when drunk, and there have been times when I’ve felt his belt on my body.
Dad calls out for me; he’s sitting on the floor holding his gun. I tentatively stand near the door-way watching him. He sees me and says, “Do you want Mummy forever?” I say yes but quickly turn and run as he aims.
Within a week I’m walking to school. I pass Cassie’s house and the usual shouting is heard. Cassie bolts out the door.
“What’s happening?” I ask.
“Mum’s in that mood again,” Cassie quietly responds as she disguises her bruises with a jumper.
School is the second most hated thing for both of us. The teachers don’t care or are too scared to intervene with the happenings at home and there are the bullies who tease us and called Cassie and I weak.
The home-bell sounds and Cassie and I run towards the forest.
“Last one there’s the rotten egg,” Cassie shouts as she runs to our tree-house.
“Whatever,” I yell from behind.
The sun sets and we haven’t left. I know I’m in trouble when I get home.
“Jacob,” Cassie murmurs.
“Yes,” I say.
“I want to run away,”
“So do I,”
The following day we make plans to leave forever.
“I’ll call my sister Christie and she’ll look after us,” Cassie says excitedly.
On the eve of our departure, Dad staggers into the house, drunk. He goes to the lounge-room and orders a glass of whiskey. I give it to him but I’m too slow. He grabs his belt and ferociously lashes it across me.
We’re walking to school for the final time and I’m glad. The day seems to never end and it starts drizzling. The bell goes and we quickly run to the tree-house, grab our clothes we’d stashed earlier and run to find Christie.
Christie’s there and as soon as we get into the car she speeds off. The rain becomes heavier and the road’s harder to see. Suddenly two iridescent lights come towards us. Christie swerves and brakes but her car won’t stop. We scream as the car rolls down the hill, and then there is silence. The car plunges into darkness.
Water creeps into the car slowly but it’s already up to my knees. The doors won’t move and neither the windows. No one hears our screams for help. I move closer to Cassie and we hold each other tight, even when the water is up to our necks. We look each other in the eye and mouth the words “Don’t be scared”
We close our eyes

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!