Terrier-Tory

Lively was not a word you would have used to describe Lenny. Lethargic and lackadaisical, yes – but lively, absolutely not! You see, Lenny Layabout the labrador was a laggard. In the alley, he would lie, lounge and loll like a limp balloon, lifeless and limp – a real layabout!
When he was invited to a birthday party, Lenny barely lifted his lids to yawn, “Maybe next year!”
When he heard the news about puppies born on the block, Lenny snored, “That’s good newzzzzz …”
The other dogs were thoroughly disgusted with Lenny’s lethargy!
The Order of Dog Adventures met in an abandoned house. If you sneaked a look, you’d see them there, the moon making a shattered, mosaic pattern on their coats: Daniel the Dalmatian, Homer the Hound, Adrian the Australian Cattledog – and Lenny, full of laziness.
Lenny snored; the watched.
“Can’t a dog get any sleep around here?”
“Stop being so lazy!” barked Daniel.
Lenny yawned; the others moaned.
“Rock-a-bye, Lenny, on the tree top”
“Can you stay awake for one minute?” whined Homer.
And still Lenny slept; the others started to lose patience.
“Forty seconds for forty winks, pleaszzzz…
“He needs to learn to be more alert,” sighed Adrian, totally fustrated.
It was then that they heard the commotion: a cacophony of snarling, growling and spitting.
Six paralysed eyes froze at the barrage of barking nearby. Someone was coming into the house. Was it Terry the terrier? Six eyes then focused on Lenny. Vigorously, they tried to shake him awake; nonchalantly, Lenny snored on. He dreamt about himself as a brave warrior – a brave warrior fighting the enemy. Now, as you and I know, dreams often turn into nightmares. But what you may not be aware of is that not only Lenny’s dream was turning into a nightmare, this nightmare was actually coming true. You see, Terry the terrier was really biting Lenny’s heels!
“Grrrrr!” roared Terry.
And Lenny ran for his life. Yes, he ran – and he cantered, and stumbled and bumbled, tumbled and trundled, and cavorted bounded out of breath – and then collapsed. Oh no! Lenny was in trouble! In Terry’s Territory! Daniel, Homer and Adrian just stood there, mouths agape, staring at the unconscious dog. But wait! Suddenly, there was a loud crunch, followed by and ear - piercing growl. Terry had decided to kick Lenny, in the shins, out of the house. Lenny cartwheeled and somersaulted and landed with a thud; Lenny was out!
Well, a red-faced, deeply-demented Lenny learned his lesson that day. But even he had a small smile when everyone cheered at his good fortune. From that day on he never again lazed or lounged …well, not very often. And that my friends is the end of this true tale … except that Lenny began to lecture his new litter, Larry, Lesley and Lara, about the dangers of being lazy-something he would just never be!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!