Kidnappers On The Loose

It snowed on the first of December, the day that it all happened. Flakes of snow could be seen, drifting down from above. As Robin gazed out her window, she could see little children from her neighbourhood playing around in the snow. Some could be seen making snow angels while others were having a snow fight. The sight of children having fun brought her joy.
As the snow continued to fall, Robin turned around to face her television set for the daily news. The news had always been something Robin looked forward to on TV. She thought it was very educational. The broadcast engrossed her. Then her attention was arrested. “KIDNAPPERS ON THE LOOSE IN SPRINGVILLE,” read the news reporter. Robin could not believe that there was a kidnapper in her town. She quickly eyed the window and saw that the children were safe. Upon hearing such news, Robin took it upon herself to protect the children.
As well as continuing her everyday life, she regularly peeked out the window to check for kidnappers. Everything seemed fine. The neighbourhood was quiet aside from the laughter of the children. As the hours passed, the children continued to play. Robin soon began to feel at ease. There wasn’t a kidnapper on her street. Not today. Eventually, she drifted off to sleep.
Robin was woken abruptly by a loud slamming sound from outside. She jumped up and looked out her window. She could just make out a black van and two men in black coats. They were headed for the children. In the spur of the moment, Robin picked up the phone and dialled 000. A lady picked up and asked her what the situation was. Robin said that there were kidnappers nearby. Robin was informed that the police would be arriving shortly. She put the phone down and ran outside in an attempt to save the children.
The only thing she could think of doing was jumping in the van and driving off with it. That way the kidnappers wouldn’t have a place to put the children. And so she did. She dived for the open door of the van. To her amazement, the engine was left running. She stepped on the pedal and drove off.
After five minutes of circling the block, she assumed the police had arrived and returned home. Her assumption was correct. She was surprised that the police and the two kidnappers were negotiating calmly. There was no fighting or attempted escaping involved. Everything was under control.
The policemen noticed her standing nearby. They told her that these men were not kidnappers, but merely passers-by who had seen a child playing with glass. Robin gawked at the two men with embarrassment. She apologised to them and went back inside. She would never live it down! Yet, she knew she was right.
As the two men turned around, their faces darkened and they frowned with disappointment. Their plans had been ruined.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!