That One Moment

Fear. The one emotion that brings you down. I couldn’t escape it, no matter how many times I told myself no-one is really watching. I closed my eyes as I tried to control my breathing. My heart beat fiercely as my brain detected the lie. Slowly, opening my eyes, I saw them. The sea of judging eyes. I stared down at my speech and cleared my throat unnecessarily.
“Err…Hello…” I slowly whispered into the mike.
Towards my left, backstage, I could see my teacher pointing to her mouth and then raise her hands vertically, miming speak up. I shook my head at her. Turning back to my quiet, awaiting audience, I felt a sudden wave of nerves overcome me. You can’t do it, said a loud voice within me. That’s all it took. I stepped away from the mike and strode quickly to my left, across the stage. I didn’t notice the wires on the floor. Without warning, I was tumbling towards the ground, my feet struggling to fight the pulling gravity. My nose hit the ground and I felt my eyes water from pain. Knees throbbing, I felt the release of blood, it scraped itself across the rough, wooden floorboard. Pain. I didn’t bother moving as I sobbed silently on the ground.
Fear. It brings you down.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!