Under The Willows

Under the Willows

A war had erupted in Tasmania. Our population was fast declining, but our soldiers continued fighting. Tasmania was being devastated by endless bombs and attacks; creating havoc and distress among our people. Nobody knew how the battle was initiated. But we did know that those who provoked this adversity were not native to our world.

These battles lead to the unjustifiable deaths of my fiancée Linda and our unborn child. I now exist to serve my country as a soldier; to prevent this formidable fate for as many others possible.

I can still remember the events of that warm Spring day exactly as they occurred. It had been two weeks since the last attack. I was taking Linda to our special place: the ‘Willows’. The Willows was a hidden area of astonishing beauty and significance; it was a place we found together as children, the place we realised our mutual feelings of love and the place our child was conceived. It was a small meadow covered in white daises; trees surrounded the edges of the meadow, creating a perfect circle. A shallow stream parted it straight down the middle. In the centre of the stream; two magnificent willow trees stood side by side. It was one of the only remaining places still unscathed from the war.

I remember feeling the engagement ring bouncing around in my pocket, as we walked hand in hand though the wilderness. I guided her straight to our spot under the willows. My heart raced at an incredible speed as I knelt down, looked up in to her hazel eyes and pulled a dazzling diamond ring from my pocket. A breathtaking smile spread across her flawless face, her eyes began to water and tears slowly rolled down her slender cheeks. I stood up, ready to slide the ring onto her finger, suddenly, her smile faded, a frown creased her forehead and her face instantly turned a pale shade of green. She looked up in to my eyes, then down to her chest; crimson blood was oozing from a fresh wound in her heart. Her eyes rolled to the back of her head and her body fell limp into my arms. She was gone. Our child was gone. I slid the ring onto her finger and cradled her lifeless body in my arms.

It’s been two years since that dismal memory carved itself in my mind. I am now preparing for the final battle against these inhuman creatures. All the soldiers step outside and into the danger; our guns are loaded and our fate is decided. The last thing I remember is the ground exploding beneath my feet…

I open me eyes; I’m standing in a remarkable meadow. I look up towards the most beautiful and peaceful sight in a long time. My heart skips a beat; a striking woman is walking towards me, holding the hand of a gorgeous little girl.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!