Dark Night Diamonds

BANG! The thunder rumbled through the stormy night sky. Lightening flashed, lighting the dark alleyway where Lyall hid. He peered around the skip then darted to the other side of the alley. He glanced at his watch, 3 am it read. Where was Jenks? He was supposed to be here by now! How could he hand over the package when the recipient was nowhere to be seen?

Lyall crept along the red brick wall, after deciding he had waited too long. Once in the back lane, he broke into a run, not wanting to risk being seen. This task was too important for him to end up behind bars. He reached under his cloak, checking nothing had happened to the package. The diamond it contained was so valuable, and Lyall did not even want to consider what would happen to him if the precious jewel was damaged or stolen.

Suddenly, a hand reached out and blocked Lyall’s path. “Looking for me?” a male voice cooed. Lyall spun around so fast that his hat fell into his eyes. “Cut the crap, Jenks. I don’t have time for this! Just take the rock and pay up,” hissed Lyall. “WHAT did you say to me?!” growled Jenks. The big, strong man was double Lyall’s size, and made the thin, teenage boy look incredibly small. Jenks was mighty angry, but this did not disturb the boy, because he was used to it. “Sheesh! Cool it !” muttered the boy. “Do you think I was going to break into the museum, grab a diamond, get out alive, and give it to you without being paid? Keep wishing! Give me the cash!”
“Okay, okay. How much?” relented Jenks.
“The amount we agreed. You do remember our little conversation, correct?” prompted Lyall. Jenks reached into his pocket, and pulled out a wad of cash. “Keep it coming, Mate,” the boy said. Jenks reluctantly handed over another wad of cash. “One more, and I will leave you in peace,” prompted Lyall. After thinking for a while, Jenks answered. “And what would you do if I didn’t give you the cash, boy?”
“How about you not risk it, and just cash up? Time is ticking, fast.” Lyall was beginning to lose his cool. Jenks was known for taking his time, and Lyall was exhausted, and also had better things that he could be doing. He adjusted his scarlet tie, feeling impatient. If only the agent would make up his mind!

Eventually, Jenks gave in. Moving slowly, just to annoy Lyall, he placed one more bundle of cash in his outstretched hand. Then he turned, and left. The rock was in his pocket, and that was all he wanted. Lyall, on the other hand, was so keen to get away from there, that as soon as his boss turned to leave, he broke into a sprint. The sun would begin to rise soon, and if his parents found he was not in his bed, he would be grounded for months and months.

When Lyall reached his house, he climbed up the tree outside his bedroom window and scampered in. His bed felt so good, and within no time he was asleep. That was one task he was glad was over! The only question that remained was what would he do with the money!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!