Fatal Fall

He loved the thrill of sitting on a KX 450F, such a powerful machine right between his legs. As the 30 second flag came down the bikes roared and so did the fired-up crowd. The gate dropped. His bike flew out of the lane and entered the first burm*. Around the burm lay a massive table top. As the rider dropped the clutch to get out of the burm, he was thrown up on the jump. Into the air, the rider flew trying to get the bike straight for the ridged landing. He landed with a back breaking jolt. He looked behind him and Chad Reed rose from the ground and landed smoothly.

The rider put his foot down and did a broad slide around the bendy corner, launching himself into the whoops. He knew that this was where Chad was his best so he looked around to see where his rival was. Chad was gaining! Closer and closer every second. Eventually they were handle bar to handle bar. Desperate to pass, he lost his patience and nudged the rider beside him causing him go into an instant speed wobble. As he hit the next whoop he was off. He flew through the air. There was nothing he could do but wait. As he waited to hit the ground he hit Chad, knocking him off as well.

He plunged into the ground. The spectators watched his body getting compressed into the mound like a sponge trying to clean thick grease . As the rider hit the ground the viewers in the stadium could hear his terrifying groans of pain. The two limp bodies rolled to a stop as the paramedic team ran towards them. Chad was screaming but the other body was silent.

A flash-back came to the silent body. He was imagining himself when he was a young boy just getting the first glimpse of his brand new motorbike. Then everything went blank. He was gone.

burm*: a corner in a motocross track
whoops: several lumps in a line in a motocross track

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!