That Night

I sit in the stand; the pounding of my heart is ringing in my ears. My neck is wet with perspiration. The judge stands up. I think of that night, that terrible, terrible night.

The wind was whipping our hair around us and the sound of the waves crashing against the cliff, far below us, could just be heard above the howling wind. It was the last day of summer, and the three of us had driven up to the ridge to light a bonfire and share some drinks. We wanted to have one more good time before school started for the year. I remember the light starting to fade as we became more and more intoxicated. Jack and Zach started to become rowdy. When they drink, the boys tend to hit on me, as I’m the only girl in the group.

On that night, as I stood on the edge of the cliff, watching the sun dip behind the horizon, Zach came over and tried to put his hand down my shirt,
“You wish,” I grumbled, pushing his hand away,
“Oh, come on Amy,” he slurred, “Don’t be like that.”
He grabbed me and pressed my lips to his. Jack came across to us and tried to pull him off me,
“Come on, man leave her alone.”
I freed my hands from Zach’s iron grip and pushed him in the chest, hard.

Everything slowed down then. Zach stumbled and lost his footing. I grabbed his arm to stop him falling. It didn’t work. Jack reached for him. We couldn’t stop Zach from going over the edge. He slipped from my grip. He fell.

I remember a rasping sound filling the air. I remember realising that it was coming from me. Jack put his arms around me and I sobbed into his chest. Zach was gone. I could see his body lying twisted on the rocks below us. There was no way he could’ve survived.

I push the memories from my mind and I’m sitting in the stand again. I see my parents on one side of the court room, and Zach’s on the other. One small nod. That’s all that Mrs. Reed gives me, one small nod that tells me everything I need to know. That nod tells me that to her, I’m not guilty. And that’s all that matters. Whatever happens to me now is the Judges decision, but it doesn’t matter. None of it matters. I’ve found peace at last.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!