Leonas: A Journey Through Slavery

Leonas ran for his life down the dark yellow plains as men on riding animals with loud weapons pursued him. I must warn the village he thought. Leonas heard the thunderous beating of the riding animals’ feet, so he ran even faster. His breathing got shallower. The white men were getting closer and he knew it.

He passed the last tree and began shouting “Run to the caves!” Some gathered their things and ran and others went back to sleep. Before Leonas could repeat his message he felt a hard bump and then nothing.

Fuzzy features flew high in the sky and salty sea spray touched his face. Heavy weights held him down. Slowly but surely realisation hit his groggy face. The strange men had taken him captive and would surely hurt him. He began struggling and soon heard soft moans coming from beside him. Soon after unfamiliar hands thrust a liquid down his throat and he fell back asleep. The rest of the journey was a blur except for the eating and drinking.

When they arrived on the new land he was forced up. Sick and groggy from the stuff forced down his throat, Leonas complied. After the drowsiness dissipated Leonas’ mind raced and he began to wonder where he was and where his family was. But without another second to think he was pushed towards a white field full of fluffy plants. Given a wooden and metal object, still manacled he was shown how to harvest cotton.

Years went by and nothing changed a whole lot, when he couldn’t work fast enough he was whipped 50 times. Sometimes after a lashing Leonas couldn’t walk for a week. He made many friends and he even had a secret girlfriend whom he wished to marry. Further years went by and he had learnt to speak fluent English, how to cook and how to ride a carriage horse for the masters. He taught the masters’ children because of his intelligence. Extremely unfortunate for Leonas was his secret girlfriend, Marina, died of an infection from a whipping for stealing food.

The years continued and Leonas began to get grey and slow down. The day he could no longer pick up his shovel was the day of his freedom. Because he was too old he was kicked out of his long time home. He didn’t want to leave his friends and the masters beautiful children just as much he didn’t want to become a slave. After a short but tearful goodbye to his friends he said “Good bye, Marina.” Then he turned around and left.

From that day onwards he dedicated his life to abolishing slavery and telling others of his story.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!