Fast Cookie


Well, I came first again. I don’t mean to brag or anything, but I’m the best runner in the whole of grade 5. You can tell Harry is jealous. He is always jealous. Harry thinks he is just the best runner ever. I suppose he was until I arrived at Emerald hills primary school. “Well done, Carrie! First again!” said Mr. Reed. “She must have cheated, again!” said Harry. He is definitely jealous. Probably ‘cause a girl beats him everyday at PE. “You are good!” said Harry’s friend, Ben. Harry slapped the back of his head. “You are so dumb! You’re not on Carrie’s side you’re on mine!” Ben was really dumb. So was Harry. They made a good match. “You really were good!” said my best friend, Karla. “Go Carrie! Though I wish you weren’t so much like a boy. I’ve already got three of them!” said mum. She is always fussing about me being too much like a boy. “Relax, Joan. Carrie is just a good runner.” said dad. “Go Carrie!”

“I’ve got to beat Carrie Jennings. Help me, Ben!” said Harry. Ben and Harry were in the old cottage near the train station. “I-I can’t help you.” said Ben. “Well I think I can. Help myself, I mean.” said Harry. Harry and Ben trudged out of the cottage and towards the park. By now they were standing in the line for Mr. Freedom’s cookie cart. “I heard the triple choc swirl with pink icing makes you run faster.” said Harry. “So?” said Ben in is usual ‘I don’t understand’ voice. “So? Is that all you can say? The cookie will make me run faster so I can beat custard face Carrie.” said Harry. “Right.” said Ben in his ‘understanding’ voice. He hardly ever use’s that voice. Soon they were at the front of the line. “Two triple choc swirl with pink icing’s please.” “I see. The potion for running fast.” said Mr. Freedom. “Told you.” whispered Harry to Ben.

The next day at school it was cross country. “On your marks, get set, Go!” said Mr. Reed. I got the shock of my life when Harry raced past, leaving me in a shower of dust. “What?” I managed to squeak. I ended up coming third. Ben came in second. Karla, mum, dad, James, Kyle, Jack, Mr. Reed and all of the kids were shocked. I decided to go to the old cottage to see what they were up to. Kyle came with me.
“That cookie actually worked! I’m now the fasted runner in this school.” said Harry. “Um… I knew it would work.” said Ben. “We should get triple choc swirl with pink icing more often.” The next day I got
that exact cookie. Then at school I challenged Harry to a race around the oval. “Your on.” said Harry.
“Ready, set, Go!” said Karla. At first it was neck and neck. Then I zoomed out in front. Then Harry came up next to me. Then we both went past the finish line. It was a tie. I was fairly disappointed.

When I got home I realized something strange. I tried running round the backyard in circles. I timed myself.
2 hours and 10 minutes for one lap. The cookie made me the slowest in the school. Nearly.....Harry and Ben
realized something, too. They were the slowest in the school also. It just goes to show that even the good can turn out bad. I never won another race after that. Except for the 'Slowest person' race. The end.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!