The Flock Of Moonlight

My name is Buddy, I’m a budgie with a dream to fly amongst the Flock of Moonlight, freedom they have while I’m in this...place!
Today I was finally chosen by a human girl! When she took me to her family’s home, I saw great scenery, and for the slightest second I thought she’d let me free.
Then everything changed when she swerved to the side and stopped next to a window where a cage was. I stared inside the house then to the cage. I was wrong.
That night I couldn’t sleep. No other birds to comfort me, just me alone. “It’s not all that bad you know,” a sweet voice said. A white budgie stepped out from a sheltered area of the small cage. “I’m Whistle, who are you?”She asked, “I’m Buddy, and I don’t think I’ll ever be fine here. All I want to do is be with the Flock of Moonlight!” Surprisingly her eyes grew wide. “They’re going to fly over here soon!” she exclaimed. “Buddy, we could get out and join them. It’s been my dream since I heard about them! Look, why don’t we get some sleep. They’ll be due any day!”
It’s been two days since I first came to this family. I’ve been fed and had plenty of laughs with Whistle. As much as I’m cared for here, my heart still aches for the feeling of freedom!
It was sunset when I heard an excited chirp from Whistle. “Buddy!” she yelled, as she stared out from the corner of the cage. “I see a mass of birds! It’s them! Oh Buddy!” As I heard this news I think my heart skipped a beat. Mumma would be so proud to hear her boy was joining the flock!
It was now night and the flock were resting in the Cypress trees. The full moon hung in the cool night sky as we stared down at the opening. We would definitely need help. Then Whistle made a weird calling noise to the birds. It must have been a secret calling or help signal because one of the birds was flying down to our cage. “Whistle!” the blue budgie called, as he swooped down to the cage and landed on the table that our cage was rested on. “It’s so great to see you, Wind!” Whistle chirped. Wind nodded. He seemed to know what he had been called down for, because in no time he had unlocked the door.
I couldn’t believe the feeling I got as we flew up to the flock. Freedom at last. As we landed we got so many warm welcomes that I felt I had been here forever!
The next morning I realised this was only one chapter of my life and so much more was to come....

This is based on my true story.
Buddy was my bird, unfortunately he never had another friend, and he died before he got the chance to be free. So this is for him.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!