Thank You Mademoiselle

Sadness overcame her. She sought her most valuable book for comfort. It was a book which was given to her by her secret lover who she could never marry. The book contained the story of a courageous woman, Hypatia, who fought many enemies in order to stand for what she believed in... She was murdered.
The young lady hoped for one thing in her life. That was, to be a successful philosopher... But a house wife was all she could ever be. A philosopher? Are you out of your senses? Of course you are not allowed. After a year, you must marry the gentleman we picked for you, shouted her father.

Marry the gentleman they picked for me? But I do not want to marry the man they picked! I want to marry the man I love!! Am I not allowed to choose who ever I want? Am I not allowed to be a philosopher? I am smarter than most boys. A talent like mine will be a waste if not use! I am human! The difference is that, I was born a lady. Why is it hard to choose freely? She told herself.
She opened her book and turn to a page where she repeatedly read. “Hypatia was a courageous woman who never feared anyone and fought anyone, to stand up for what she believed in” She read aloud. I am going to be Hypatia! I am going to stand up for myself! I am going to oppose my father! She promised. She smiled and kissed the book which gave her so much courage. “Merci mademoiselle,” she whispered. With the thought in her mind and the courage she had gathered, the young lady left her cage to fight for her freedom...

She was a failure. She fought her father until the energy drained from her body... But her father repeatedly told her that she was born as a young woman. She was not a boy. She cannot follow her dreams. She was a puppet controlled by her father. She demanded to marry her secret lover at the least... But he was born in a lower class family. Therefore she could never marry him.

The young lady went back to her cage. She opened her book in a page she had read repeatedly. “Hypatia was a courageous woman who never feared any one and fought any one to stand up for what she believed in” she read aloud. Tear flowed from her eyes. I am going to be brave like Hypatia. I promised. I am going to stand up for what I believe in like Hypatia. I promised. I am going to fight any enemy who oppose to my beliefs. I promised... But I am not brave. I cannot stand up for myself and I cannot oppose my parents who controls me like a china doll. Therefore I am lifeless. With her thought, the young lady ended her life. Free from the burden. Free from loneliness. “Thank you mademoiselle” she whispered through her last breath...

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!